Brooks Brothers Announcement?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Someone at a garage sale said they heard Brooks Brothers announced they will stop producing some staple they've been known for, for many years. "Naturally" they didn't recall what it was? They were thinking it might be the traditional fit dress shirt, but I could hardly believe production of that could come to a total halt. I personally don't care for "slim fit" or "ultra-slim fit" and I'm sort of slim at the moment myself.... Does anyone know anything about has recently gone - or is soon to be - out of production? :tinfoil:

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

No idea. But if I were to guess, I'd say the must-iron shirts. They're already an endangered species, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them go the way of the dodo.

3. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Thanks, though I doubt it because there are still a thousand of the more expensive-type shirt lines that are the all-cotton, wrinkly type. I personally rarely purchase them, in any case.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Non-iron is one of those things, if I were the big cheese at these places and someone came to me and said, "we can now add a chemical to shirts and they never require ironing and it will be huge!!!" I would have probably fired them on the spot thinking who the hell would want to wear that, if you are taking the trouble to wear a nice shirt you would dryclean/iron it but there you go. Would've cost BB tons of money with my boneheaded decision :confused:

5. js4design

js4design Senior member

I'd heard unsubstantiated rumors of the traditional fit shirt being phased out and just leaving regular, slim, and extra slim. I'd bet the farm that it will NOT be the non-iron shirts getting phased out. They are huge sellers.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Phasing out the traditional fit shirts would make sense. Huge amount of fabric and cannot imagine they sell many.

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

They're phasing out button-down shirts entirely. Too associated with the BB of old; not Luxottica enough.

They'll expand Golden Fleece logoed stuff, and introduce a new line of Big Fleece logo "polo" shirts, with oversized embroidered Golden Fleece logos.

Del Vecchio pledges a "huge presence at Pitti Uomo" next year, issuing cell phones to all BB reps and with swag bags even now being assembled in Malaysia full of Brooks Brother breath mints, Golden Fleece cigarettes, and co-branded Wurkin Stiffs collar stays.

A special diffusion line, "Brooks Brothers Straight To Gilt Groupe," is also in the works, featuring comfortable yet vibrant t-shirts, shorts, Brocs (a rubber clog), and wrist BBeads made from melted non-iron shirts.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

^^ Brocs....:lol:

9. DocHolliday

Silly Corbera. Why would they discontinue the BDs when all they have to do is make the collar roll more vulgar, add some fake handstitching and charge $350 a pop?

Imagine how fast they'll fly out of B&S.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Silly Doc. The only thing that will fly out of B&S at $350 a pop would be a trio of used Phineous Cole suits.

11. DocHolliday

I neglected to mention that the shirts would be skin tight.

12. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

Oh no I hope they're not getting into trends and selling those ultra slim fitting shirts that only an 11-year old can fit into. What a shame that would be.

13. DocHolliday

I suspect Brooks' customer base is too large for that to be much cause for concern.

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

'Too large' ? :)

15. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Guess I never noticed much the "Regular" fit vs. "Traditional." I always avoid the slim and ultra slim fit. It makes me feel tight just thinking about it, even though I'm not overweight. Now I'll have to look over my BB dress shirts; they're likely all "Regular" at the moment. Are "Traditional" among the most expensive?