• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Alden Cordovan Unlined Penny Loafer - Size down or not?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has rebadged the Alden 986 in an unlined version on their web site. I've seen various posts here that suggest one should NOT size down a 1/2 size for the Brooks version, unlike the regular lined Alden 986 version. Does anyone have both the Brooks and the Alden badged versions and can they comment on sizing? Is the Brooks version labeled true to size or not? Does it require sizing down?

I'm normally a 10.5 C. But I take a 10C in the Barrie last. So what size do I need in the "Brooks" version of the Alden penny?

Last edited:

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the BB is on the plaza last so size accordingly

REguy

Reaction score
The BB is on the Van last, not the Plaza. Many people seem to size the Van the same as the Barrie.

nurktwin

Reaction score

The BB is on the Van last, not the Plaza. Many people seem to size the Van the same as the Barrie.

Is there any variance in how Brooks has Alden label or size the Brooks badged models? For example, is given size and width in an regular Alden version the same exact size in a Brooks rebadged version? Or does Brooks try to minimize the amount of shoe returns for incorrect sizes and instead have Alden label their rebadged models "true to size" (i.e. labeling them a half size larger than their regular Alden counterparts)?

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a store and try a shoe on. You're not an unusual size so it shouldn't be impossible.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nurktwin

Reaction score
Folks, please don't try to halt the thread. I went to a store. They didn't have my size, hence the reason I'm soliciting feedback here from folks who may have gone through this exercise previously. Thanks.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Folks, please don't try to halt the thread. I went to a store. They didn't have my size, hence the reason I'm soliciting feedback here from folks who may have gone through this exercise previously. Thanks.

Order from the website in a couple of sizes and send back the ones that don't fit. I'm not sure what you really want. All feet are different and it makes "sizing by consensus" difficult.

The BB shoes are unlined and made on the Van last. Many people, including me, wear the same length on the Van and Barrie lasts. The Van last has a low instep and not everyone can wear it. The fact that it's unlined leads some people to size down a width as well. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads