• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers $60 stick umbrella - any good?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked for threads on this, but only found one review in a SAB umbrella thread from lee_4406. This seems like it would be a decent deal at $60, especially with how hard I am on umbrellas. Anyone have any experience?

Brooks Brothers Umbrella

356H_Black_enlarged.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had $60 in Brooks gift cards and got one for free.

I haven't even opened it yet.

So . . . not much help. It is made in China.

Maybe I'll take a million pics of it tonight and post them on styleforum so people will think I'm cool?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Well they can't be worse than the junk most people buy.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine has a different canopy than the one pictured. The ones I have seen with a plain black canopy have a lighter-finished wood.

This umbrella is best described as a Swain-imposter. It looks like a sturdy stick-thru umbrella, but there are a few noticeable cheap spots. I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet and find out if it's functionally sturdy or flimsy.

Velcro closure with the Brooks label on it, instead of a button of faux-button. The balled-tip of each spoke seems like its metal.

30i7uqu.jpg

While it appears to be dark wood, it's really sort of dark-painted wood. Either when I purchased it, or on the walk out to my car, a scuff developed on the handle, scratching it down to bare wood.

237epk.jpg

The collar at the end is plastic, instead of metal. It appears to be held in place with a single nail however.

25yu9hc.jpg

m97i85.jpg

Functionally it operates like any other stick umbrella, I guess. All the spokes you see in this picture are plastic, and seem rather pliable. Seems like they would spring back rather than bend or break in a wind. It opens and closes nice and smooth.

2m5baj4.jpg

14lf6d.jpg

k2da88.jpg

chang

Reaction score
I have this umbrella, and it has some cheezy looking construction in some spots, like the velcro and plastic, but functionally it seems to have worked just fine. Hasn't flipped inside out on me or anything crazy yet. I got it because I just wanted something that looked decent that I could throw in my car without spending a lot of money. Maybe one day, I'll get a Brigg, but until that day this will probably do the trick. It's also made in China, but that doesn't really bother me too much since I'm a ********.
tounge.gif
Oh yea, the wood isn't terribly high quality as far as I can tell, it's probably just some heavily stained semi cheap wood.

Johnathan

Reaction score
I would just get the J.Crew one for half the price. This one doesn't even look as nice.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crazyquick, you are one cool dude. Thanks.
bigstar[1].gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a great review, CQ. The pics really illustrate your points.

There's a huge difference in the heft and sturdiness of say, a Brigg, and the Brooks offering. (Of course, there's a big difference in the price too.) My lasting impression of the Brooks was that it felt too light and, well, a bit cheap to warrant the price tag. It wouldn't be as much of an issue for me if it weren't trying to look like more than it is. I don't have much tolerance for that.

Personally, I would say there are much better values out there. I'd look for a vintage umbrella first, or save my pennies for something nicer.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
To be honest, I think the best value in an umbrella is one of those second hand maple Briggs from that UK retailer. It's a one piece umbrella and is built like a tank.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you for the compliments.

I would like to know how a Fox compares to the Orvis-Brigg compares to the BB model. I think a slim, slender Fox tube model will be my next.

As I said, mine was 'free' with gift cards and my Brooks birthday card. The gift cards even cover the sales tax.

2sweet

Reaction score
I really can't see investing more than $20 bucks in any umbrella. I have yet to be able to keep one longer than a season. I invariably lose, forget, or misplace whatever umbrella I've bought within a year's time.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
It's a catch-22. Do you lose it because it's easy to replace? Or is it because it's cheap, you're less careful with it? Either way, it's like anything nice in life, you have to take of it. I would much rather buy something well-made, take the time to care for it, and be able to use it for a long time, even with the risk of losing it by accident.

Originally Posted by 2sweet
I really can't see investing more than $20 bucks in any umbrella. I have yet to be able to keep one longer than a season. I invariably lose, forget, or misplace whatever umbrella I've bought within a year's time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads