• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
I went to the Brooks Brothers outlet tiday solely to see if they carried shoes...which they did not. Found that everything in the store was 346 line items. I bought some merino wool socks and two pairs of wool trousers "seemed" like a good price. I know what the better quality items/fabrics are but not trained yet in differentiating the full quality between lines or items. That is what I am trying to hone from info on the forum
wink.gif
. Anyone have experience with the quality of the BB 346 line?

SeanP

Reaction score
I have visited the BB outlet mall on my trips between phoenix and orange county. From my understanding the 346 line is specific for the BB outlet malls, I noticed this as I wear their gabardine slacks and did see a difference in materials. Dont ask me why, but I also thought the waist closure/button was different as well.

I picked up two 346 shirts to try, and they do not see the light of day after I tried one for a day.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
related thread...http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=22801
not the best quality...I have 2-3 shirts for beater wear...look for 1818 luxury line items as they have a few once in while...you may even get lucky with some Black/Golden Fleece...BB has their semi-annual sale going on right now. you may find some items that you need at discounted prices...
good luck

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 346 SC I got for a steal, though I only bought it because it fit perfectly. Construction is meh, fabric is pretty nice, but not great. BBGF is a LOT better IMO.

Then again I get more compliments on the 346 SC than anything else I own. Must be the pattern
tounge.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
related thread...http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=22801 not the best quality...I have 2-3 shirts for beater wear...look for 1818 luxury line items as they have a few once in while...you may even get lucky with some Black/Golden Fleece...BB has their semi-annual sale going on right now. you may find some items that you need at discounted prices... good luck
Thanks for the info and link. I honestly searched and it didn't come up with that great thread. Oh well thanks and I will have to go over my buy and see how they look quality construction wise.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The search function of this forum sucks.

It is junk and a waste of money. Lately I have found BB mainline to be sub-par. GF, luxury, and BF should be the only BB lines to consider.

1234Patty6

Reaction score
The quality is not the same, the sizing is not the same. It is Not the real Brook Brothers.
The men's polo shirts were thin and cheaply made the women's blouses were poor fabric and sized differently.
Too bad the the service was good and employees nice. Too bad.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are their trousers compared to the 1818 line?

David Martin

Reaction score
I live about 15 minutes from an outlet mall with a Brooks Brothers factory store. It's yielded some casual and dress shirts. Their casual madras shirts were nothing special (hardly anybody's are), while the 346 dress shirts (slim fit non-iron stretch, 96% cotton) seem fine for light use and are lightweight, which helps in our sweltering climate. Nordstrom's store-brand and Charles Tyrwhitt shirts seem a bit heavier.

I've picked up an 1818 unlined Fitzgerald linen jacket and, tonight, a 346 stretch wool (97% wool, 3% Lycra) gray suit for $192. It should be more than adequate for occasional social occasions and is probably at least as good as anything in the price range at Penney or Macy's. Think of the outlet as competition for Stafford, Ferrer, or Claiborne.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 346 trousers that have seen heavy wear with no issues.

BikeMan6x

Reaction score
346 is a middle line of clothing that is about the same as Men's Warehouse. My estimation of Brooks Brothers lines of Clothing are as follows:

Golden Fleece

Country Club (the non-athletic garments)

1818 (like the high end of Jos A Banks)

346 (like Men's Warehouse)

Brook Ease (like Belk's)

Nothing as low as Sears or JC Penney

The important part of Brooks top lines is that they are Made in America. Every time you buy imported goods you send a job overseas. When the last job is sent overseas you will be unemployed. If the labels say, "Brooks Bothers" and "Made in China" then you have overspent and waisted your money.

Andrew

David Martin

Reaction score
Those ratings seem about right, though I feel better about Penney's better shirts than Macy's or the moribund Sears.

You have to search for US clothing. There's a little niche of US surfer stuff--some items at Katin and Toes on the Nose, all-US at the revived Birdwell for example. Katin was offering $50 trunks made by their own long-time seamstress. Balsa Bill's little surf shop in Satellite Beach has made-in-Florida board shorts.

At the outlet mall (all of 20 minutes away) I remain a happy user of Brooks, Banana Republic (cheap clearance pants), and J. Crew. In town, Dillards has occasional "extra 40% off permanently reduced" sales, with shirts close to Nordstrom quality for under $20, which means it's worth waiting for them. Nearly all from China.

I no longer need good suits, and have been picking up blazers and such at a remarkably good local thrift shop.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the Brooks Brothers outlet tiday solely to see if they carried shoes...which they did not. Found that everything in the store was 346 line items. I bought some merino wool socks and two pairs of wool trousers "seemed" like a good price. I know what the better quality items/fabrics are but not trained yet in differentiating the full quality between lines or items. That is what I am trying to hone from info on the forum
wink.gif
. Anyone have experience with the quality of the BB 346 line?
The outlets do sometimes carry shoes, but they aren't too good. Cheaply made junk from El Salvador that don't warrant the prices they charge. The retail store carries a range of AEs - like the Randolph and Fifth Ave which you can get for really good prices during some of their holiday sales. Regardless of any of that though, they will run way more expensive than the outlet shoes, but at least I think they are worth it. I wouldn't waste money on the outlet shoes - there are plenty of cheaper options out there. I will agree with the others that the customer service at the outlets is always really good. At the retail store, they are always snooty and don't treat customers too well. If you want a cheap shoe option, check out Barneys during some of their sales also. They are made in Italy and I have found the quality to be decent, above average.

BobbyR

Reaction score
thank you so much, this is exceptionally helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads