• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks brothers 1818 madison

suitup12

Reaction score
For a little background I'm 6'5, 220lbs. I just ordered a brooks brothers 1818 madison cut pinstripe suit. I ordered it online (which i've never done with a suit) because it was on sale and didn't want to pass it up. Just curious as to how the fit will be. I haven't bought off the rack in some time let alone the internet and am already second guessing myself. I don't typically wear suits fashionably tight but by no means do I swim in my clothes.

With proper tailoring do you think the fit will be ok?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a little background I'm 6'5, 220lbs. I just ordered a brooks brothers 1818 madison cut pinstripe suit. I ordered it online (which i've never done with a suit) because it was on sale and didn't want to pass it up. Just curious as to how the fit will be. I haven't bought off the rack in some time let alone the internet and am already second guessing myself. I don't typically wear suits fashionably tight but by no means do I swim in my clothes.

With proper tailoring do you think the fit will be ok?

Silly question to ask and bereft of facts, you do not say what size you have ordered or anything of substance about your body and whether you have any experience of the cut etc. Take it to a tailor when it arrives and seek advice, be prepared to send it back. Simply because it was cheap is not reason to believe it will fit or decide that you "didn't want to pass it up".

suitup12

Reaction score
Size 44L.

I have no experience with the cut. Seems like a sillier question as if I did I most likely wouldn't be asking these questions.

As I said I'm 6'5 220lbs (athletic). Not slim nor large.

Didn't think it would fit bc it was cheap? I bought it bc it was a color I needed replaced and decided to pull the trigger bc it was in fact cheap and returnable - didn't seem like a crazy idea

Do you have any experience with the cut? That was really the question

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Size 44L. I have no experience with the cut. Seems like a sillier question as if I did I most likely wouldn't be asking these questions. As I said I'm 6'5 220lbs (athletic). Not slim nor large. Didn't think it would fit bc it was cheap? I bought it bc it was a color I needed replaced and decided to pull the trigger bc it was in fact cheap and returnable - didn't seem like a crazy idea Do you have any experience with the cut? That was really the question

The main point is, that's not quite enough info. For example, i am 6'4" and weigh 200 lbs and wear a 40L. What size you wear is more about what your body weight distro is like (cyclist thighs here) than anything else. The madison is full in the chest but narrow in the shoulders, sometimes sack like. It is almost too short on me, but i am torso long. I'll see if I can find a pic of me wearing my madison jacket.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my madison fit tweed

10_5_12_oall.jpg

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Click on "Fit Guide" on the left hand menu:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/suits/0216,default,sc.html?lid=topnav-menu

Madison Fit is their fullest cut. FYI tailor can only do minor adjustments to a suit unless you're paying an arm and a leg for a whole re-do which then you might as well buy another suit.

What you should have done is to visit a BB store to try for size, find the closest fit then wait for a sale.

Last edited:

Bandit44

Reaction score
I'm your size and wear a 44XL in the Madison cut.

suitup12

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. Like I said I'm not tiny but not overweight either. The last suit I bought off the rack was in fact 44L that didn't need any jacket alterations and fits nicely - but obviously that was tried on beforehand.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok thanks guys. Like I said I'm not tiny but not overweight either. The last suit I bought off the rack was in fact 44L that didn't need any jacket alterations and fits nicely - but obviously that was tried on beforehand.

This is, of course, the place where we say post pic and we will judge that. I thought I was a 42 long for decades (well, 1.5 decades)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics