• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brother Sizing advice

Capitano

Reaction score
There is a nice sale at Brooksbrothers.com right now and I really like one of their cashmere sweaters, problem is I live over seas and I don't know my BB size but I wear M in Polo Ralph Lauren.

Any recommendations ?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The made in Scotland stuff is good quality IMO. Anyhow, size conversion depends as PRL has different fits (custom vs classic in the US at least). What sizes do you wear in other brands? Do you know your suit jacket size?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy two sizes and return one or both if they don't fit?

Capitano

Reaction score
The made in Scotland stuff is good quality IMO. Anyhow, size conversion depends as PRL has different fits (custom vs classic in the US at least). What sizes do you wear in other brands? Do you know your suit jacket size?

I wear M in the PRL slim / custom fit shirts and also M in their Sweaters

Other brands Zara for example I wear L

Sfroide3

Reaction score
BB don't even say what grade cashmere they use and where the sweaters are made ...

Especially in Europe there is way cheaper and better alternatives.

Everlane does affordable grade A cashmere too.

If not cashmere Howlin does amazing made in Scotland/Ireland with scottish wool sweaters too.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BB don't even say what grade cashmere they use and where the sweaters are made ...
Like I wrote earlier, at least some of them are made in Scotland
No question it would be better quality than an Everlane cashmere sweater. There is a lot of low quality cashmere out there. Pretty much anything under $250-300 retail will not be high quality cashmere. High price does not guarantee high quality of course, but low priced cashmere is always low quality.

To the OP, if your PRL custom fit shirts fit you well in M then I’d suggest medium in Brooks Brothers if you want a comfortable fit, small if you want a close fit but that might be on the tight side if you wear L in Zara. What is your height/weight?

Last edited:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I missed this one on the BB website. It's really nice. A bit pricey to my taste. At that price point I would probably go with Inis Meain but they don't do a lot of cashmere. The BB is probably a good catch for black friday or end of season sale.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve handled an Inis Meain cashmere sweater and was really not very impressed. Could’ve just been that one model. Yoox is a good place to find good cashmere sweaters but you have to be patient if you want one in a staple color.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a nice sale at Brooksbrothers.com right now and I really like one of their cashmere sweaters, problem is I live over seas and I don't know my BB size but I wear M in Polo Ralph Lauren.

Any recommendations ?

I own a few sweaters from BB and PLR garments, both in size "M": they are TTS, not too wide neither long.

jts287

Reaction score
In my experience, BB mainline sweaters are a classic fit, Red Fleece is slimmer/modern, and Country Club is the loosest/roomiest. I'm 6'2, 205 and wear a L in BB mainline, M in Country Club, and I don't really know for RF cause that ****'s garbage.

Lastly, if the product description isn't clearly stating the sweater's made in Scotland, assume it's origin is China (seriously).

Capitano

Reaction score
In my experience, BB mainline sweaters are a classic fit, Red Fleece is slimmer/modern, and Country Club is the loosest/roomiest. I'm 6'2, 205 and wear a L in BB mainline, M in Country Club, and I don't really know for RF cause that ****'s garbage.

Lastly, if the product description isn't clearly stating the sweater's made in Scotland, assume it's origin is China (seriously).
Cashmere spun in the UK and made in Italy

Capitano

Reaction score
Like I wrote earlier, at least some of them are made in Scotland
No question it would be better quality than an Everlane cashmere sweater. There is a lot of low quality cashmere out there. Pretty much anything under $250-300 retail will not be high quality cashmere. High price does not guarantee high quality of course, but low priced cashmere is always low quality.

To the OP, if your PRL custom fit shirts fit you well in M then I’d suggest medium in Brooks Brothers if you want a comfortable fit, small if you want a close fit but that might be on the tight side if you wear L in Zara. What is your height/weight?
184 CM Height. 74 KM Weight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads