• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Bros and pleats/flats

stroke

Reaction score
I was in brooks today, tempted by the 2 suits for $999 offer running currently. I had my mind made up to purchase when I tried on the trousers. The pleats looked completely out of whack on me, particularly without the jacket. I have a 30/31 inch waist, so I always wear flat front trousers normally, but this wasn't always the case (lost alot of weight 18 months ago - hence buying 2 new suits). So - the assistant said that they can take the pleats out and provide me the same trousers but flat fronted.

Has anyone ever had this done in Brooks? How did it turn out? I like the idea as then I can wear the trousers without the jacket. The cut of the trousers seems quite generous so I'm concerned that they will take out the pleat, but the whole package will somehow not work?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
A qualified tailor can complete this work but it is not without risks. Whether BB has someone on staff who can do it is hard to know. If you have your own tailor, take the suit to him/her.

However, I believe the Fitzgerald 1818 model - the line now on sale - features flat-front pants on most or all models. It's a single-vent jacket, and you won't find much love for that around SF, but the pants are flat and slimmer than other 1818 models I've seen.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had sales people tell me they can take out the pleats as well, but they are trying to sell me the suit. I have been told by others to be very careful of this. It is highly unlikely the pants will look right.

Look at the Fitzgerald suit. It has flat front pants and is the slimmest cut, which is what it sounds like you are after.

upstarter

Reaction score
I can't be positive, but when they take out the pleats, the pocket moves back x amount of inches to make up for the extra fabric now available. If you want it to look proper, you'd then have to recut the pants, which is def extra. Make sure "take out the pleats" means what you think it does.

This is how my tailor told me it works, and he's pretty damn good (Romeo, in La Jolla). I'm assuming I understood him.

Upstarter

mattg

Reaction score
Be very careful with having them take the pleats out of the pants. I've have had competent tailors turn the pleats into "darts" this simply ruins the pants.

greyinla

Reaction score
This can be done, but it is a difficult job and easy to botch. Belt loops and waistband have to come off, and if done right, side seams adjusted too as upstarter suggested. My tailor, who has done some complex things for me, refuses to do it. BB does offer this as a regular service, and they do guarantee their work, but the quality of tailoring varies from store to store. I would be inclined to wait until you found flat fronts, but if you are committed, don't rely on the SA but speak to the tailor first, and have him detail exactly what he will do and whether the alteration will show.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads