• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROOKLYN!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm moving back to NYC very very soon and am going to be looking in Sunset Park among other places. I lived in Park Slope--well, Gowanus, nee South Brooklyn--before and was pleased with it. I was on 12th between 3rd and 2nd, which wasn't a beautiful block, but was convenient and affordable.

I know there are a few Brooklynites here. What do you think about Sunset Park?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived in Carroll Gardens for 5 years (on the corner of Hoyt. and 1st). I moved in right before all the hipsters moved in and before most of the restaurants and bars on Smith St opened, and I moved out last year. My wife and I both loved it there.

As for Sunset Park, the only thing I really know are all the bad things you hear on the news. I am sure there are good parts that I do not know about. So basically I am of no help to you sorry, I get nostalgic when I here about that part of Brooklyn.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I miss Brooklyn as well, hence the heading back. Carroll Gardens is wonderful, but unfortunately out of my price range. Got to have money in the clothing budget.
Expensive Carroll Gardens definately is. I had a great deal when we lived there. My landlord never raised our rent in the 5 years we were there. All I did in return was water the plants out front, shovel the walk when it snowed and made sure to turn down the heat when we left for the day. Plus Iour brownstone was on a corner and we had a garage, which obviously made parking much easier. We also got in before the rents started jumping up like crazy. When we left people were paying double what we were for smaller places.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you now?

I thought you were in Harlem, or perhaps in a cot underneath the Soiffer-Haskin space on W 33rd.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What's a Brooklyn??

madison avenue

Reaction score
I am not sure about a good part of sunset park all I hear about is that its not such a great area. I am not trying to be rude but there are other non expensive parts of brooklyn that are much safer where you can still pay around the same amount of rent. Why not look into bay ridge? And also has the rent really jumped up much in park slope?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by madison avenue
I am not sure about a good part of sunset park all I hear about is that its not such a great area. I am not trying to be rude but there are other non expensive parts of brooklyn that are much safer where you can still pay around the same amount of rent. Why not look into bay ridge? And also has the rent really jumped up much in park slope?

Notice some joker bumped a two year old thread.

Bay Ridge is FAR from manhattan. Sunset, at least where I lived, was on two different express trains, making the commute reasonable. By the park itself, Sunset is nice, albeit lacking in restaurants and nightlife, unless you speak spanish. We had a sizable one bedroom in a nice prewar building for a cheap rent, allowing us to save and buy in 2 years....

Hawkeye

Reaction score
A few friends and I went to Prospect Park Saturday, beautiful day for it. I went a little early and walked around Clinton Hill a bit, my friend just moved there and I haven't really ever walked around there except from the subway to his apartment, really nice neighborhood, like a rough around the edges Park Slope with few strollers. I may have to check out some apartments down there at some point as Williamsburg is not really doing it for me right now, and the many huge buildings under construction right now are making me fear a future commute especially on the L...

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I moved to Sunset Park in January. I like it enough, the space we get for the money is great, plenty of room and sunlight. Weekend afternoons are like festivals on the sidewalks and for some reason there seems to be an ice cream truck every block. I might take a Spanish class, which is unrelated, but related as well.

But you've moved, so I assume you now know the answer to your own question.

bullethead

Reaction score
it seems that sunset park is the next neighborhood in Brooklyn to 'go'. I have a couple of friends with young families and that's where they are all looking. townhouses there-though much cheaper than other parts of Brooklyn-are still is the 700k ballpark, if i am not mistaken.

Smokestack

Reaction score
I lived in Sunset Park 4-5 years ago. Great apartments to be had out there. The closer you can get to the 36th St. subway stop, the better transportation options you'll have as it's both a local and express stop. There's also a great Chinatown up towards 7th Ave that has some great Dim Sum out there. Whatever you do, don't live on 5th Ave...one of the loudest places in Brooklyn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics