• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

broke in London but need nice suit and dress shirt

hi123

Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to spend as little as possible but also want to look respectable for interviews, meeting clients, etc.

Can you please guide me in the right direction.

Definitely can't spend more than 700 USD/GBP, but if I can spend much less than that would be great.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt is another option, slightly less expensive.

hi123

Reaction score
At what price range,
Suitsupply is probably your best bet.

Thank you.

Are these brands highly regarded?

Kind of the way Meermin or Loake are considered affordable yet are still high end and quality?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I don't want to end up buying something that might be considered tacky like a zara suit.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At what price range,

Thank you.

Are these brands highly regarded?

Kind of the way Meermin or Loake are considered affordable yet are still high end and quality?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I don't want to end up buying something that might be considered tacky like a zara suit.

Highly regarded is kind of subjective.

There's a bare minimum for what's required to make a suit or pair of shoes look good. For shoes, it's a certain kind of construction and type of materials (often welted sole, full grain leather uppers, etc). Other, more affordable brands offer this, but the designs are often not as well executed.

Suitsupply and Spier McKay are two of the better brands I've seen for suits around $500-ish. The next jump up is usually around $750-1,000. But the leap in "quality" is small and, sometimes, subjective. But if you go to a lower-end brand, say shops that sell $200 suits, the stuff is clearly not as nice (to the degree that anything in this field can be considered objective). I think brands like Suitsupply and Meermin are kind of bare minimums for guys who are looking to spend as little as possible. Whether you want to spend more depends on your budget, taste, and needs.

Maybe put another way, you won't look bad in these clothes. They may not be everything you want out of a suit or pair of shoes, but it's impossible for anyone to say what would make you happy.

Charles Tyrwhitt is also definitely worth a look, although I don't have any experience with their suits. Before Suitsupply came along, they were one of the go-to recommendations for guys looking to spend as little as possible.

Andy_00

Reaction score
Be aware that suit supply is designed for slim figures with a pretty big drop from shoulder to waist. If you’re in good shape you might find them a good option. For me (with a bit of a gut) the fit is atrocious in all of their different models.

Tyrwhitt is also an option but a rung below in terms of construction. You will look very presentable though. Also consider Ralph Lauren Polo - especially during their sales - and perhaps Ede and Ravenscroft (a more conservative style) or Crombie.

hi123

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your advice

useless_username

Reaction score
Roderick Charles is well within your price range. Fully fused jackets, but I assume that's not a priority for you.

If your budget allows it, consider investing in nice shoes or ties. They can elevate an otherwise humble outfit.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Hardy Aimes has some decent suits - if you find them on deep discount, bought 2 at 150 pounds each, semi canvass, horn buttons, see also Malford of London website. Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt are decent for shirts, Meermin ok for shoes (if you give them a spit shine they look totally ok). Invest in one or two good quality ties, and do not forget some decent socks, and you are set up.

Quesjac

Reaction score
I can spend much less than that would be great.
It just depends what your priorities are, but you can get a half canvas suit in Drago wool from M&S for £330 right now. I'd suggest that or go up to £400 for Suit Supply entry level, depends which models fit you best.

Wingtip77

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend suits from Charles Tyrwhitt, but I think their shirts are good value. TM Lewin has much nicer suit fabrics for very similar prices.

pacnyc

Reaction score
All good advice. I just wanted to add, if you’re broke, then in my opinion you are right to spend as little as possible, and don’t let anybody shame you out of it. (Penury is never stylish.) Even 500 USD is a real fortune for somebody without money, and I’m sure you have other priorities like eating and having some semblance of a social life. Get something that is basic and presentable; your interviewers will understand. Might renting (or borrowing) a suit be a practical option?

hi123

Reaction score
All good advice. I just wanted to add, if you’re broke, then in my opinion you are right to spend as little as possible, and don’t let anybody shame you out of it. (Penury is never stylish.) Even 500 USD is a real fortune for somebody without money, and I’m sure you have other priorities like eating and having some semblance of a social life. Get something that is basic and presentable; your interviewers will understand. Might renting (or borrowing) a suit be a practical option?

Well I guess broke is relative. This suit is an investment for me so I would like to make sure I'm getting the right one. I don't know anything about suits which worries me and I'm just apprehensive about buying it, especially on discount.
I could spend more than the budget I mentioned if it is a justified investment, I just want to make sure I get the right suit. I wouldn't want to have regrets later.

I'm interviewing for experienced-level finance jobs but I'm coming in from another industry where the dress code is very casual.
Now I'm paranoid about commiting some faux pas when buying my suit. I'm not a fresh university graduate so I do feel I have to show some basic refinement.

Beside any insight on my comments above, could you please let me know things that I must absolutely look for in a suit?
I know Navy and Charcoal are preferred in the positions I'm interviewing for.

- It would also be helpful to know things I must absolutely avoid.
I've seen some nice suits on discount that look nice but maybe I'm just not able to pick up on any flaws they may have with my newbie eye.

Thank you so much

hi123

Reaction score
Additionally, what is the best and cheapest bespoke suitmaker you know in the UK and elsewhere?

I heard that if you get a bespoke suit in South-East Asia, it is very good value?

Quesjac

Reaction score
Additionally, what is the best and cheapest bespoke suitmaker you know in the UK and elsewhere?

I heard that if you get a bespoke suit in South-East Asia, it is very good value?
Can be true, but it also takes experience to get good results. Best to stick with RTW for a first suit in my opinion.

I'd just go to the shops mentioned and try on whichever models suit your budget, and get whichever fits you best in the chest, shoulders and length. You can get the sleeves and waist altered, either now or if necessary when you have the extra cash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads