• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw these in a sale and I couldnt resist them,made by Trickers and really nice....those tags are coming off though.

1634236725229.png

Swampster

Reaction score
I think that for a casual shoe the Vibram sole is a good choice,especially for walking on pavements in the city.
On the city walking front, I had my first trip to London since before the current unpleasantness. Didn't walk as far as on some other visits to the Smoke, but still schlepped around quite a bit. My Dainite-soled Loake Wortons were very kind to my feet.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the city walking front, I had my first trip to London since before the current unpleasantness. Didn't walk as far as on some other visits to the Smoke, but still schlepped around quite a bit. My Dainite-soled Loake Wortons were very kind to my feet.
I quite like Dainite but it is a bit hard and can be slippy in the wet,especially smooth surfaces.
My Loake Bedale have the Victory sole and I am impressed with the comfort and grip.

I am thinking about replacing the Dainite soles on a pair of C&J made Brogues with these Vibram soles.
1634455666133.png

Swampster

Reaction score
I quite like Dainite but it is a bit hard and can be slippy in the wet,especially smooth surfaces.
My Loake Bedale have the Victory sole and I am impressed with the comfort and grip.

I also have some Bedales as well as some Edwards which also have the Victory sole.

I might have worn the Edwards but I feared the wrath of those who might detect that I would have been wearing casual clothes with oxfords AND wearing brown in town :)

(Actually, I just thought the black looked better with what I had on)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have some Bedales as well as some Edwards which also have the Victory sole.

I might have worn the Edwards but I feared the wrath of those who might detect that I would have been wearing casual clothes with oxfords AND wearing brown in town :)

(Actually, I just thought the black looked better with what I had on)
My 'problem' with the Bedale is that I like it so much that I am tempted to buy another pair in a different coloured suede...they do seem to be in a lot of sales.

Some of the Loake Brogues are very under-rated imo,perhaps that's because of their cheaper ranges ? maybe people write them off as a cheap shoe ?
Sanders are another one that dont get get mentioned enough (again imo) some nice Brogues, the suede boots (Cheltenham ?) with Commando sole are very solid looking.

Swampster

Reaction score
My 'problem' with the Bedale is that I like it so much that I am tempted to buy another pair in a different coloured suede...they do seem to be in a lot of sales.
I already have two pairs(tan and mahogany grain) and was very tempted to get the suede. If they had had them last time I went to an outlet, I would probably have given in, though I bought the more utilitarian wax black Hebdens instead, which aren't brogues.

Knowing that the Pennine last fits me is both a godsend (as I have really struggled to get shoes which fit) and an awful temptation. I nearly bought some of the chelsea boots on that last but I think it would be a battle to get them on and off. I'm not as flexible as I once was.

The Glendale is another on the same last which appeals, though these have more of a walking boot look to them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am back from the same outlet and found this time suede brogue boots from the same brand (Parisian « Joe San », never heard before TBH). They tick all the boxes for me : Ankle height, supple suede, colour (Taupe?), nice detailing, the last fits perfect, and Vibram soles.
At €45 it would have been rude not to buy them.

7632F094-C1C8-4A83-815A-73051E153320.jpeg
F9619731-B128-4A27-BCFF-A71273DB1F36.jpeg

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Very pleased with my Bedales. I bought them on a whim earlier in the year from Loake's Market Harborough outlet. They look better with jeans of course than these chinos. They were also incredibly comfortable right from the off. My Sedbergh and Lytham boots are still nice but much stiffer leather. These 9's are a little loose on me with normal socks. I am borderline 8.5 to 9 anyway.

Attachments

• 20211017_113327~2.jpg
    20211017_113327~2.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 48

Swampster

Reaction score
I am back from the same outlet and found this time suede brogue boots from the same brand (Parisian « Joe San », never heard before TBH). They tick all the boxes for me : Ankle height, supple suede, colour (Taupe?), nice detailing, the last fits perfect, and Vibram soles.

View attachment 1686938 View attachment 1686939
Good find.
Looks like Joe San were only set up about seven or eight years ago. Looks like their website is dead so perhaps they have closed.
Any indication who makes their boots?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
BTW Guys, what look better with a raincoat than a good pair of brogues ? The Challenge is stil running for a few days, I expect late entries…

@Swampster there are no indications but they are really well made and the normal price of both were around 250-275 euros. I paid €39 for the brown ones.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already have two pairs(tan and mahogany grain) and was very tempted to get the suede. If they had had them last time I went to an outlet, I would probably have given in, though I bought the more utilitarian wax black Hebdens instead, which aren't brogues.

Knowing that the Pennine last fits me is both a godsend (as I have really struggled to get shoes which fit) and an awful temptation. I nearly bought some of the chelsea boots on that last but I think it would be a battle to get them on and off. I'm not as flexible as I once was.

The Glendale is another on the same last which appeals, though these have more of a walking boot look to them.
I got the waxed suede and I really like them,been tempted by the Tobacco suede and the grain leather....I find the fit good (I went down half a size).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1686938 View attachment 1686939
Very nice and that price a real bargain,the Vibram sole unit would cost more to buy....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads