• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he is misreading the handwriting inside?
Having looked at a few pics of Avon, some have six and some have seven holes parallel with the eyelets.
I wondered the same about the writing,also might be awkward to get a picture inside the shoe which is why I suggested a picture of the box.

Swampster

Reaction score
Are the Chesters on the Pennine last ? I went down half a size on the Bedale boots and that was right for me.
Ashby and Edward are on the Pennine. Chesters are on the 024. It is almost big enough for me, but not quite. The Wolf and Burford boots are also on the 024 so like slightly skinnier versions of the Bedale. The Wolf has sheepskin lining - when I tried some, I think could actually wear them with thin socks but that seems to miss the point. Felt nice though.

Hlvd

Reaction score
That link just takes me to Next ?

No picture for the Sanders...I am guessing its the Salisbury,I have a pair in waxy brown leather,nice shoes but extremely heavy,too heavy for a shoe imo.
That’s to the website not app, sorry.

Swampster

Reaction score
I find most Loake true to size,the Pennine last seems on the big size.
It is roomy on the instep, which I think is why I find it so comfortable. The Badminton is also a G but on the 026 and I couldn't have worn it.

Hlvd

Reaction score
Is it the length or the width you find large on the Loakes? I have to get a G in Loakes, so have Ashby instead of Chester. This is good for width but I rarely get shoes which are right in length for my circular feet.
The 12508 Cheaney last is almost exactly right for my foot - must be a bit more generous than most F fitting as I can wear it comfortably, though not as wide as the Loake G fit.
Too wide, and probably a half size too long, maybe a

Swampster

Reaction score
Too wide, and probably a half size too long, maybe a
Perhaps half a size down for the Cheaney 12508 then, but don't quote me on that :)
Depends what socks you would wear with them as well.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sanders Salisbury...quite roomy and heavy, good quality,I think Sanders dont get mentioned enough.
1626368337703.png

Hlvd

Reaction score
Perhaps half a size down for the Cheaney 12508 then, but don't quote me on that :)
Depends what socks you would wear with them as well.
You reckon the Cheaney 12598 F is as big as a P
The Sanders Salisbury...quite roomy and heavy, good quality,I think Sanders dont get mentioned enough.
View attachment 1639319

That’s really nice, nice and chunky. I was really hoping I’d get those in Next from their sale last week but sadly not, although I did get some Sanders grey derbys for £51 and black dainite Chelsea boots for £120.
Lovely shoes and excellent quality.

Hlvd

Reaction score
These are my only pair of brogues to date, J Crew Oar Stripe in Pacific Blue, bought for £80 at the Debenhams closing down sale. They’re not comparable to the English made brands seen on this site but are fine for the price paid.
A1369936-9E3F-4BFD-82B0-C9AD5C9832D6.jpeg
7AC4B042-AB03-4D71-9077-35297A285508.jpeg
05BAB424-0D36-4A5A-8582-2E8DA4399AB7.jpeg
FD78199E-E749-4C43-BF26-D7988B7E17F1.jpeg

They’re made in China but possibly at the same factory as Grant Stone, Goodyear Welted, veg tanned leather.
The laces aren’t original, and possibly not for the purists, I’ve just been experimenting with different colours. I got the cream, burgundy, navy, biscuit and black on eBay the other day as the stock laces were a bit too thin and flimsy.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You reckon the Cheaney 12598 F is as big as a P

That’s really nice, nice and chunky. I was really hoping I’d get those in Next from their sale last week but sadly not, although I did get some Sanders grey derbys for £51 and black dainite Chelsea boots for £120.
Lovely shoes and excellent quality.
I looked at the tan Sanders on Next £240,a similar Sanders Brogue the Fakenham is £340 on Pediwear.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my only pair of brogues to date, J Crew Oar Stripe in Pacific Blue, bought for £80 at the Debenhams closing down sale. They’re not comparable to the English made brands seen on this site but are fine for the price paid. View attachment 1639356 View attachment 1639357 View attachment 1639358 View attachment 1639359
They’re made in China but possibly at the same factory as Grant Stone, Goodyear Welted, veg tanned leather.
The laces aren’t original, and possibly not for the purists, I’ve just been experimenting with different colours. I got the cream, burgundy, navy, biscuit and black on eBay the other day as the stock laces were a bit too thin and flimsy.
You make a good point about price and value for money.
imo the best value for money is to find the more expensive shoes at a good price,either in a sale or on Ebay.

For a reasonable quality shoe I dont think that Berwick 1707 can be beaten for price.

Hlvd

Reaction score
I looked at the tan Sanders on Next £240,a similar Sanders Brogue the Fakenham is £340 on Pediwear.
I prefer the Next version as there’s more going on in the sole and welt, the Sanders original has it all a similar colour.
The problem with the Next version is no half sizes.

Hlvd

Reaction score
You make a good point about price and value for money.
imo the best value for money is to find the more expensive shoes at a good price,either in a sale or on Ebay.

For a reasonable quality shoe I dont think that Berwick 1707 can be beaten for price.
That’s my intention as I got a lovely pair of Grenson chocolate suede Nolan Chelsea boots two weeks ago for £30 in excellent condition.
Grenson doesn’t seem to be as popular as Loake on eBay, so looking at some of their brogues as well in my search.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads