• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fine point.
I was just meaning that, compared with the sturdy Grenson black Brogues, my Alfred Sargent brown Adelaides look like their weak, sissy-like brothers ...
We would say 'horses for courses' the Grenson looks like a Country shoe although it's black,the AS is more refined....like comparing a Land Rover to a Jaguar, both are good but for different reasons... (all IMO).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tredders having a big sale,some Alfred Sargent Brogues (amongst others) well reduced.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have seen in another thread that @Yorky bought Church’s brown « Swing » longwings at an excellent price.
They exist in black too, I like their chunkiness !

2A188E6B-697F-4F48-BC57-30B222B1B7F2.jpeg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 'punched cap' or 'quarter brogue' from Herring Shoes - made in India though :embar:
20210513_184401-1.jpg
... btw, the 'Land Rover vs. Jaguar' argument had me make peace with my sleeker brogued shoes, which I like a lot.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Sapphir leather insoles for these NPS Brogues,I decide to buy the insoles to big and trim them with scissors...I ordered a 46 and they are a perfect fit !
I have the exact same pair, and also in the boot version, very pleased with them and the sizing was spot on, a wee bit smaller than yours though a 41.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenson has some hidden beauties like these "Shoe n° 4"
110890_shoe_no.4_tan_grain_leather_brogue_-_side_1-1.jpg
110890_shoe_no.4_tan_grain_leather_brogue_-_top_bottom_1-1.jpg
110890_shoe_no.4-1.jpg
I've no direct experience with Trickers or Barker, so I cannot talk about them, but I've got some Grensons over the years, always on sale, and like them.
I'd be curious to hear other opinions or comparisons with other brands: for sure there are gentlemen far more competent than me!

Swampster

Reaction score
Grenson has some hidden beauties like these "Shoe n° 4"
View attachment 1610527
View attachment 1610528
View attachment 1610529
I've no direct experience with Trickers or Barker, so I cannot talk about them, but I've got some Grensons over the years, always on sale, and like them.
I'd be curious to hear other opinions or comparisons with other brands: for sure there are gentlemen far more competent than me!
I've only tried one pair* - the Archie. This was in a 'fashion shop' and they only had full sizes. I tried both an 11 and a 10 and I think a 10.5 would have been perfect. The sales assistant told me that they didn't make half sizes, which is nonsense.
The Archie styling is, as their website says, exaggerated. I would have been happy with it but I think I prefer the Loake Ashbys I got instead.
If there were a factory outlet in Northants then I would have visited. Most of the other companies' shoes I have came from the factory or outlet shops. Perhaps I'll try one of the London Grenson shops, though the only brogues which I might get anytime soon are some Cheaney Avons.

*That isn't quite true - I have a pair of Grenson oxfords which are 20 something years old and came from my local independent shoe shop. They only used to come out for weddings, funerals, interviews etc. Now that I have more pairs, they are in the rotation and have finally been broken in! I think they are probably from the lowest price range that Grenson did at the time but are decent enough. They are some kind of high-shine leather which I wouldn't look for now.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only tried one pair* - the Archie. This was in a 'fashion shop' and they only had full sizes. I tried both an 11 and a 10 and I think a 10.5 would have been perfect. The sales assistant told me that they didn't make half sizes, which is nonsense.
The Archie styling is, as their website says, exaggerated. I would have been happy with it but I think I prefer the Loake Ashbys I got instead.
If there were a factory outlet in Northants then I would have visited. Most of the other companies' shoes I have came from the factory or outlet shops. Perhaps I'll try one of the London Grenson shops, though the only brogues which I might get anytime soon are some Cheaney Avons.

*That isn't quite true - I have a pair of Grenson oxfords which are 20 something years old and came from my local independent shoe shop. They only used to come out for weddings, funerals, interviews etc. Now that I have more pairs, they are in the rotation and have finally been broken in! I think they are probably from the lowest price range that Grenson did at the time but are decent enough. They are some kind of high-shine leather which I wouldn't look for now.
I have seen the Archie,the ones that I saw were made in India and tbh for the price I wasnt impressed.
I have a pair of Sanders Brogues with a Commando sole,they are a similar style to the Archie but MiE (and better quality imo),very slightly oversized they might be worth looking at if you get the chance.

I like the look of the Archie Triple welt,they are MiE but although I like the look of them I dont know if I would wear them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've also seen the M.i.India Grenson Archie, they are easily available here and you can find them at an interesting price during the sales. I tried them on, and didn't find them comfy at all, and they are a bit too chunky to my liking (even if i do like chunky brogues).

I have been narrowing my search for black calf derby brogues with Dainite (or equivalent) soles to two models.

JM Weston Miles
JM Weston Miles.jpg

I tried them and the last is good for me.
JM Weston Miles perforées.jpg
I really like their shape, the leather is beautiful, and they are comfy.
They are also available at a decent price, and are usually reduced during the sales.
They have gum soles, but not Dainite.

Crockett & Jones Pembroke
Pembroke.jpg
Clearly they are things of beauty, and of course of excellent quality. Dainite soles.
I didn't try them on yet. But had them "in hands" (in another colour). I was very surprised by their weight, they are very light for brogues.
Problem with them is the price, they are very expensive and are never in the sales (here at least).

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crockett & Jones Pembroke
View attachment 1613718
Clearly they are things of beauty, and of course of excellent quality. Dainite soles.
I didn't try them on yet. But had them "in hands" (in another colour). I was very surprised by their weight, they are very light for brogues.
Problem with them is the price, they are very expensive and are never in the sales (here at least).
Agreed Pembroke is expensive and it is not even a Handgrade.

I don’t need more shoes, but when I am next near a C&J shop I will look at four of the seven Pembroke versions - but not the black.

Cordovan in no 8 and also whiskey colour. I suspect whisky will be too light, but I would like to see it.

Pebble grain in both tan and dark brown.

Cordovan is more than £250 dearer than pebble grain and it is also on a leather sole which makes it less versatile for everyday wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads