• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
They share the same website,I thought that the difference was the soles ?
A bit odd how some styles are only available with the air sole (Solovair).
Their new air sole is more discreet though. I saw it « in the flesh », not as noticeable as the old DM style.

Yes a two tone brogue why not, but not with this DM sole IMO, not appropriate.
Leather sole only as it is an old style.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their new air sole is more discreet though. I saw it « in the flesh », not as noticeable as the old DM style.

Yes a two tone brogue why not, but not with this DM sole IMO, not appropriate.
Leather sole only as it is an old style.
I am not keen on the Oxford with a DM sole,I think that Oxfords look better with a thinner sole although Barker make one in their Country collection that looks good IMO.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 3 tone Cheaney Avon.

1620501067974.png

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the answers.
I like a chunky brogue and Solovair has good prices too. They even promise that the price the shoes are labeled is the one you'll actually pay and this, after Brexit, is a real plus for us from the Continent.
My worry is that, being a (wideish) UK10.5, correct sizing would be a bet.
Been looking at these for a long time though ...
View attachment 1606706
looks like Dr.Martins went bROGUE.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get into specifics that is an Adelaide brogue. Take away the U throat and broguing at the back of the shoe and you have a punched cap.

There are brogues, semi brogues, country brogues etc.
Fine point.
I was just meaning that, compared with the sturdy Grenson black Brogues, my Alfred Sargent brown Adelaides look like their weak, sissy-like brothers ...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you get into specifics that is an Adelaide brogue. Take away the U throat and broguing at the back of the shoe and you have a punched cap.

There are brogues, semi brogues, country brogues etc.
I would agree although sometimes the 'Punched cap' is called a 'quarter Brogue'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads