• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed these online,made in England by Lanx.
1619554815486.png

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1600700
These are my latest purchase,NPS walnut grain,another sale at 'A fine pair of shoes'.
These have an Itshide Dainite type sole,I think that the Itshide is a bit softer but that could be my imagination.
These dont come in half sizes and they are quite wide but I put a leather insole in them and that seemed much better,I think that if I wore thick socks I wouldnt need the insole.
The metal eyelets on the ones I got are much browner than the ones in the picture and they are much less noticeable.
I am impressed with the quality and the leather,the price was good,the only thing that is a bit strange is that the laces seem very long.
I bought some Sapphir leather insoles for these NPS Brogues,I decide to buy the insoles to big and trim them with scissors...I ordered a 46 and they are a perfect fit !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Air soles but I do like these Horween Solovair Brogues, if they didnt have metal eyelets I would definitely get a pair even now I am tempted.
1620487280125.png

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solovair are nice and come in several colours and without metal eyelets too - not Horween though

I haven't pulled the trigger until now because I'm not sure about sizing.
Does someone have advice?

Swampster

Reaction score
Solovair are nice and come in several colours and without metal eyelets too - not Horween though

I have one pair of (non-brogue) Solovair. They are quite narrow for me (and I ought to sell them as I can't wear them) but that means they are probably a normal fitting F rather than made for thick socks.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I noticed the ones without metal eyelets,I dont know why the Horween are not available in that style.
Is the upper of the shoe on Solovair the same as NPS ? if so I found them slightly big,maybe half a size,a leather insole sorted that out.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

TTS in my experience, but only had loafers (several pairs) from them and they are pretty wide and chunky.

and I would even say like @cerneabbas that they size a tad big.

Swampster

Reaction score
I noticed the ones without metal eyelets,I dont know why the Horween are not available in that style.
Is the upper of the shoe on Solovair the same as NPS ? if so I found them slightly big,maybe half a size,a leather insole sorted that out.
The box for mine says NPS and Solovair.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the answers.
I like a chunky brogue and Solovair has good prices too. They even promise that the price the shoes are labeled is the one you'll actually pay and this, after Brexit, is a real plus for us from the Continent.
My worry is that, being a (wideish) UK10.5, correct sizing would be a bet.
Been looking at these for a long time though ...
S5-811-BK_W-G_Solovair-5-Eye-English-Brogue-Shoe-Black-White-Hi-Shine_01_EDITED_1800x-1.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
I like a chunky brogue and Solovair has good prices too. They even promise that the price the shoes are labeled is the one you'll actually pay and this, after Brexit, is a real plus for us from the Continent.
View attachment 1606706
I have more of a problem with my instep rather than across my toes, so you may be okay if you have a normal instep. I did take half a size up though. Still, I did get the fit wrong even though I went to the factory shop. I intended going back to change them but left it too late. It would be even more annoying to have to get them through customs and have the grief of sending them back again.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1606706
Just look at them !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1606706
Luigi,have a look at 'A fine pair of shoes' they Have NPS Brogues (but not Solovair) they say 'free delivery to EU on orders over £125'.
NPS / Solovair website is interesting.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The box for mine says NPS and Solovair.
They share the same website,I thought that the difference was the soles ?
A bit odd how some styles are only available with the air sole (Solovair).

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1606706
I quite like the idea of a two tone Brogue (it would have to be a Derby for me) but two shades of brown perhaps ? or maybe smooth and grain leather.
I have looked at the leather / fabric Trickers and Cheaney but I think that polishing the leather without getting polish on the fabric would be too tedious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads