• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yeah not buying anymore from England either.
Some brands are clever : I recently received an email from Fred Perry (sorry not brogues related) explaining they now have a huge warehouse in EU so they can sell and send their goods like before, without any taxes...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only ever bought one pair of shoes from outside of UK,a pair of Bexley longwings this was a few years ago when the choice of longwings here was limited so UK ewas still part of EU and there was no problem.

I do have Paraboot,Mephisto,Heschung and Berwick 1707 shoes / boots but they were all bought from shops in UK.

tbh I dont think that I will buy from EU countries because of the taxes and delivery costs (same problems as buying from USA).
Probably it will be better to buy a more expensive MiE shoe and pay less for delivery than to buy from another country.

We knew that this would happen after Brexit and for those of us who wanted to get away from the EU it is a small price to pay.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only ever bought one pair of shoes from outside of UK,a pair of Bexley longwings this was a few years ago when the choice of longwings here was limited so UK ewas still part of EU and there was no problem.

I do have Paraboot,Mephisto,Heschung and Berwick 1707 shoes / boots but they were all bought from shops in UK.

tbh I dont think that I will buy from EU countries because of the taxes and delivery costs (same problems as buying from USA).
Probably it will be better to buy a more expensive MiE shoe and pay less for delivery than to buy from another country.

We knew that this would happen after Brexit and for those of us who wanted to get away from the EU it is a small price to pay.
I have really well executed pair of Bexley wholecuts, fullgrain leather, Goodyear welt bought at an incredibly low price. I also have a pair of their single monk straps that look as good as the Crockett and Jones version. Both bought in their Paris shops. There is a full size difference between my size for each pair.

I have also bought Spanish shoes in Madrid. I have more than enough shoes though, so I will not be personally affected. Berwick 1707 are still available cheap in this country from shops and they are great value.

I will not be paying a lot more for EU items so will probably do some substitution too.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These have been in my future plans for several years now, and seeing your post on another thread @cerneabbas I thought why not

IMG_20210305_081201.jpg

Trickers Fulton

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, Trickers are quality and they really look the business.
No hidden join on the inside either. They seem to be out of stock after being on sale at good prices. Hopefully not a discontinued line.

Swampster

Reaction score
My local Loakes is now an 'outlet' so sells seconds and ends of line as well as the new stuff. For my first proper post-lockdown shopping trip, I paid them a visit. The Worton is being discontinued, so I got some in black. I already have the blue*, so I know these are a good fit for me.

*Less garish than it might sound.

Swampster

Reaction score
I'll have a go though I seem to be rather inept at getting decent shots. In the meantime, this is Herrings page https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/loake/worton_rubber-soled-brogues for the black and Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loake-Worton-Brogue-Derby-Shoes/dp/B06VWYXT9T for the blue.

As you can probably tell, the blue is a deep navy, so in some lights it is hard to be sure they aren't black. The sole, stiching etc are a lot more distinctive between the two.

A word of warning for the easily offended - the metal eyelets are visible :)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ They look nice (metal eyelets apart). According to Herring's site they are made on a wide last to allow for thicker socks. From your experience would you suggest one's usual size or sizing down?

Swampster

Reaction score
^ They look nice (metal eyelets apart). According to Herring's site they are made on a wide last to allow for thicker socks. From your experience would you suggest one's usual size or sizing down?
The Pennine last more or less fits my feet which are wide with high instep and short toes. As the shoes have worn in, I can wear a thicker sock if I want to but just one suitable for winter rather than hill walking. I don't know if taking a smaller size would work - the toe is quite rounded so there may not be enough length if your feet usually need it.
They have more room than the 026 which is another Loake wide last - they are too tight over the instep for me.

Cheaney's 12508 last is another which is intended for a thick sock but fits me nicely without. The extra room means that they are one of the few 'F' fits which I can wear and they are just about perfect.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these in a sale a few weeks ago from 'A fine pair of shoes'
1619553249670.png

Berwick 1707 black grain,Dainite sole.
I was tempted by the Loake Worton but I liked the grain leather on these (and I preferred the non metal eyelets).
They look better in the flesh than in the pictures so I am very happy with them,well made and a great price,they are a nice fit too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1619553693249.png

Well I finally got a pair of these from Loake at the sale price (thank you 'The Seeker')
The only slight surprise is that they are much darker brown in the flesh.
I think that the Birkdale is a nice shoe but I know that some people arent keen on the Bullet last shape.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1619554139956.png

These are my latest purchase,NPS walnut grain,another sale at 'A fine pair of shoes'.
These have an Itshide Dainite type sole,I think that the Itshide is a bit softer but that could be my imagination.
These dont come in half sizes and they are quite wide but I put a leather insole in them and that seemed much better,I think that if I wore thick socks I wouldnt need the insole.
The metal eyelets on the ones I got are much browner than the ones in the picture and they are much less noticeable.
I am impressed with the quality and the leather,the price was good,the only thing that is a bit strange is that the laces seem very long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads