• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, yes they are considered more formal though even more reason to wear them casual, do dislike Derbys though :)
As the man said different strokes for different folks,some people dont like boots, unbelievable though it may seem.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Of course you can't compare the quality of the old Florsheims made in USA to the one made nowadays in India...

As the man said different strokes for different folks,some people dont like boots, unbelievable though it may seem.
I like Derbies and Oxfords, but i think Derbies are more versatile.
I don't own any Brogue boots, but my interest is growing. I usually prefer Ankle boots and i came across the Oliver Sweeney's "Pullen", that i find very interesting. I like the brogueing design, the "country grain" leather, and they have Dainite-style soles.

Oliver-sweeney-pullen.jpg

For the more adventurous, they also exist in Navy
Pullen navy.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like these but I suppose that the negative is that they arent versatile ?
Probably expensive but I do like Paraboots leather.
The leather (at least the colour) made me think of the last brogues you bought.
Well they are really chunky (the soles are the same than on the Michaels i think ! ) so definitely on the casual side IMO...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These aren't my best brogues.
Labeled "Saxone of Scotland" but, truth be told, made in Italy of - at least - questionable quality leather.
Yet, four years ago, they were the first pair of my new wave in buying good shoes (along with an identical pair in tan): so I'm somehow sentimental about them.
20201016_192930.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These aren't my best brogues.
Labeled "Saxone of Scotland" but, truth be told, made in Italy of - at least - questionable quality leather.
Yet, four years ago, they were the first pair of my new wave in buying good shoes (along with an identical pair in tan): so I'm somehow sentimental about them.
View attachment 1478415
By a strange coincidence we were talking about Saxone today (I had seen some on Ebay and mentioned the shop that was here).
By the 70s they seemed to sell cheap fashion shoes but they had been a well known name,even Bond in Goldfinger 'put on the battered old pair of nailed Saxones' before beating Goldfinger at golf.
I just had a look at their online catalogue and I like the look of some of the Loafers.

I like the check trousers,its definitely the weather for heavier weight trousers here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
There ain't much brogues, but you still can vote !

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By a strange coincidence we were talking about Saxone today (I had seen some on Ebay and mentioned the shop that was here).
By the 70s they seemed to sell cheap fashion shoes but they had been a well known name,even Bond in Goldfinger 'put on the battered old pair of nailed Saxones' before beating Goldfinger at golf.
I just had a look at their online catalogue and I like the look of some of the Loafers.

I like the check trousers,its definitely the weather for heavier weight trousers here.
The shops were just called Saxone though and not limited to Scotland. They were probably the best bet for leather shoes in the High Street. Then they closed and Lilley and Skinner and Timpsons had gone too. High Street options were more limited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads