• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice pics here so far. The chestnut ones in the OP are an unusual colour but not so ‘far out’ that they can’t be versatile. I like ‘em.

Clouseau your first two pairs look great and put them blobby orthopaedic looking Birkenstock’s to shame.

Kingstonian you are spot on seeing lads in royal / dark / navy blue suits with those light tan shoes - rancid!

I prefer brogues to lean towards the more casual. These days they put brogue patterns on formal business oxfords but remember their origin is a country shoe.

I have a few pairs of punch caps which I don’t really consider to be brogues. I have full brogues in navy suede which get a lot of use with my summer suits. And I have McNeil Longwings in black calf and burgundy shell. I wrote about them here ...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice pics here so far. The chestnut ones in the OP are an unusual colour but not so ‘far out’ that they can’t be versatile. I like ‘em.

Clouseau your first two pairs look great and put them blobby orthopaedic looking Birkenstock’s to shame.

Kingstonian you are spot on seeing lads in royal / dark / navy blue suits with those light tan shoes - rancid!

I prefer brogues to lean towards the more casual. These days they put brogue patterns on formal business oxfords but remember their origin is a country shoe.

I have a few pairs of punch caps which I don’t really consider to be brogues. I have full brogues in navy suede which get a lot of use with my summer suits. And I have McNeil Longwings in black calf and burgundy shell. I wrote about them here ...

Yes the origin was a country shoe but that was a long time ago and you wouldnt wear John Lobb or Edward Green Oxford Brogues (not that I am likely to ever own any) whilst trampling through a wet muddy ploughed field.
I think that even a judge or a top civil servant could wear decent quality black Oxford Brogues to work and still look appropriately dressed.

There are so many types of Brogues in different designs,colours and types of leather/suede that I find it interesting what people wear them with,

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1600942089323.png

Edward Green Monmouth....maybe one day,

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love brogue boots in scotch grain or country calf. The texture is great.
I have another pair of grain leather boots Herring Hawkshead (made by Loake) tan with Dainite soles,they are lighter weight than the Barkers I wear them a lot because they look ok with trousers or jeans.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Minimally brogue as they have a punch cap but I recently got these jump boots from Meermin special order. Burgundy grain calf, Dainite sole. Sozz if posted before. They have shearling linings too, the perfect winter boot.
View attachment 1465458
After my experience with Cheaney Pennines (veldtschoen boots) I am wary of nine hole boots. I have a high instep and boots were difficult to lace.

Laces supplied were too short anyway. Quarters were far apart.

In the end I switched to lock laces for ease of use and used an army lacing pattern which avoids lace clutter.

I bought the boots without trying them on first online in a sale.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After my experience with Cheaney Pennines (veldtschoen boots) I am wary of nine hole boots. I have a high instep and boots were difficult to lace.

In the end I switched to lock laces for ease of use and used an army lacing pattern which avoids lace clutter.

I have a high instep too but I don’t like the look of boots which pull the eye stays close together so I won’t mind if they don’t meet in the middle. They have a bellows tongue so unlikely to let and water in over the instep and I don’t plan on jumping in puddles like Peppa Pig! I’ll use straight bar lacing as I do with all my shoes and boots. I have a ‘hockey hook’ to help tighten up any boots I have with stiff leather.
Meermin did their usual stupid trick of supplying laces which are way too short so I’ll have to get some longer ones.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Meermin look good ,grain leather seems to be very popular at the moment.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I quite like the Hoggs of Fife Veldtschoen boots and shoes do you have any idea who makes them ?...I am guessing Cheaney but they always seem to be in a G width and I think that Grenson make lots of their shoes in a G.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Meermin look good ,grain leather seems to be very popular at the moment.
I have Cheaney and C and J loafers in grain leather.
Then I got a pair of loafers from Morjas that were far and away the best fitting loafers I’ve ever tried. They were supposed to be burgundy grain and I was expecting them to be a similar colour to the boots above but when they arrived they were almost black so I sent ‘em back. Too bad. I got an email from them recently as they are doing grain loafers again in black and brown. Once again the brown is barely distinguishable from black so I guess they still haven’t learned.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the Hoggs of Fife Veldtschoen boots and shoes do you have any idea who makes them ?...I am guessing Cheaney but they always seem to be in a G width and I think that Grenson make lots of their shoes in a G.
I have the Hoggs veldtschoen shoe and I really like it. No issues with putting it on or taking it off as it is a shoe. The shoe is a G width.

That made me think about a boot. I did not like the look of speed lacing. So I took a gamble on the 9 hole Cheaney on sale. I cannot see any clues on the codes which might identify a makers last for the shoe. I think I read somewhere that the Hoggs boot is also made by Cheaney but I don’t know if that is true. If it is the same last as the Pennine it would still not suit my high instep but might be easier to put on/take off.

An even more nerdy bit of information on the shoes. Mine are four hole shoes. A German site has an old five hole version on sale for more than the price of a new pair. Says these were the original specification for the war office. Leather soles. I prefer the commando soles.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads