• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several threads that I have looked at have posts about Brogues so I thought it might be interesting to have a dedicated thread.
Shoes,boots,Oxfords,Derby,Longwing,full Brogue,semi Brogue,quarter Brogue, leather soled,Dainite sole, Commando sole...or any other type of Brogue.
Which are your favourites ? recommendations ? shops that sell them, what do you wear them with ? how formal can Brogues be ? or how casual ?
Dont worry if your pictures have been on other threads lets get them on this thread.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1600765548601.png

Loake Birkdale in Conker brown fom Loakes 1880 Legacy range,Loakes Bullet last.
Wore them with lightweight wool trousers out to lunch.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like Brogues (English and American - Longwings - style, Oxford and Derbies, but i never had Brogue boots) and always had at least one pair in my wardrobe since my youth.
Usually i buy quality ones so they last. Among the first i had i remember Church's in brown suede and Dexter in black grain.
I find them versatile and wear them with Sta-Prest style trousers, wool trousers, suits, and even jeans.
Currently i own 3 pairs:

uni2.JPG

Church's Burwood, they are at least 35 years old and they are my favourites.

FCC3.JPG

Loake Royals. I own them for 10 years, they are built like a Sherman Tank.

Birk 4.jpg

Birkenstock Tatami (in Kangaroo leather). Those are quite original (and not to the taste of all), got them for around 15 years and TBH i don't wear them very often...

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I wasn’t so scared of sizing issues, I’d already have a pair of trickers. Keep the pictures coming though of all the brogues

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Brogues (English and American - Longwings - style, Oxford and Derbies, but i never had Brogue boots) and always had at least one pair in my wardrobe since my youth.
Usually i buy quality ones so they last. Among the first i had i remember Church's in brown suede and Dexter in black grain.
I find them versatile and wear them with Sta-Prest style trousers, wool trousers, suits, and even jeans.
Currently i own 3 pairs:

View attachment 1463044
Church's Burwood, they are at least 35 years old and they are my favourites.

View attachment 1463045
Loake Royals. I own them for 10 years, they are built like a Sherman Tank.

View attachment 1463047
Birkenstock Tatami (in Kangaroo leather). Those are quite original (and not to the taste of all), got them for around 15 years and TBH i don't wear them very often...
A nice collection to wear on different occasions from smart to casual.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1463367
My most recent purchase,I have never had Brogues with Commando soles before and they seem more flexible than I expected,very comfortable.
I dont often wear jeans but I think that these Brogues will be ok with jeans or with trousers.
The only thing with commando soles is you spend a lot of time removing little pieces of gravel from them - mud too if you use them on open land.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads