• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues for and Interview

maxvand

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting and I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered. I searched through the forum and couldn't find an answer. Im just finishing second year university this spring, and i'll have to start interviewing for jobs in the engineering field. At the moment i don't have any dress shoes that would be appropriate for an interview. This leads me to the question of would brown brogues such as the AE Strand be appropriate for a job interview. I ask because I also want a shoe that I would be able to wear out often, and, say, a black Park Avenue wouldn't really fit the bill in that respect, and I can't really afford to get two pairs of shoes. So, what's the verdict?

Thanks.

Magnus357

Reaction score
I'm an engineer. If you know what a borque is, you'll be dressed better than your interviewer. Engineers as a whole are not known for being well dressed.

That said, I'm not a fan of brown shoes for an interview. They'll definitely work, but I prefer a charcoal suit and black shoes for an interview.

Last edited:

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Strand is perfectly fine. Good luck.

kwanon

Reaction score
Speaking as an engineer, it's probably fine. There may be some rare exceptions but the engineers I encounter both inside and outside of my company know nothing about clothing. They will just see "dress shoes" and a suit without giving a second thought. Anyone who notices the difference will be someone else who enjoys dressing well, will recognize that engineering is a casual field, and appreciate your decision to avoid black cap-toes all the more. In an engineering company only a true prick would turn you away for interview shoe choice, and that means you probably dodged a bullet.

deek

Reaction score
If I were in your position I'd buy the AE Leeds or something similar. It's a classy look that you can dress up or down and even wear to bars and clubs. Not exactly perfect for interviews but I doubt they will notice. Saw DiCaprio wearing them in GQ and they looked great.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If money is of concern as a new graduate, JCrew has their own PTB Preston that is of similar look as AE Leeds currently on sales for $215 - 30% off get them from eBay.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ptbs area terrible choice for an interview, and imho, life

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think color is more important than whether or not the shoes are brogues. The AE Strand in walnut is pretty showy; in dark brown, not so much.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check your resume for spelling errors - the title of this thread is a perfect example of the sort of minor error that can eliminate you from the interview pool before you even start.

pay attention to the details that matter most.

in your case shoes are probably not one of the most important topics - just make sure they are very dark brown, if not black, and that they are well taken care of.

Magnus357

Reaction score
check your resume for spelling errors - the title of this thread is a perfect example of the sort of minor error that can eliminate you from the interview pool before you even start.
pay attention to the details that matter most.
in your case shoes are probably not one of the most important topics - just make sure they are very dark brown, if not black, and that they are well taken care of.

Did you mean torque?
teacha.gif

As you can see, us engi-nerds aren't so good at the spellin'. We are good at making the money though!

ajmanouk

Reaction score
just wear black dress shoes. a cheap pair will only set you back 30 bucks and still look presentable

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wear black dress shoes. a cheap pair will only set you back 30 bucks and still look presentable

Not to be rude, but this is terrible advice. This is actually worse advice than "wear whatever shoes you have" because at least then you're not throwing money away. If you're lucky, you're not as familiar with $30 shoes as I am, but I can tell you that the "dress shoes" you can get for $30 are the perfect shoes for the man who wants to be badly dressed and uncomfortable. Their only saving grace is that after six months they will die completely and the curse will be lifted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads