1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Brogues for an Interview

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by maxvand, Dec 12, 2012.

1. maxvand

maxvand Member

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but I searched the forums and couldn't find a direct answer to my question.
    Anyways, this spring I'm going to have to start interviewing for summer jobs in the engineering field (finishing 2nd year). My dilemma is I have no appropriate shoes to wear to an interview, and at the same time I'm in the market for a nice shoe to wear out. The shoe I'd want to get would be the AE Strand in a brown tone. The problem is being a student i can't afford two pairs of nice shoes, so I wouldn't get a more appropriate interview shoe such as the AE Park Avenue in black along with the Strand. So finally, my question is whether or not a brown brogue shoe such as the Strand would be fair game for an interview.

Thanks.

2. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I love AE Strands. I have 'em in light brown and oxblood / Bordeaux. They'll serve you well and will look great with a grey suit, and also with jeans.

I have 6 pairs of AEs, 5 of which I bought lightly used via eBay. Each pair cost me only 100 bucks, so I recommend you go that route.

3. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

unless you are wearing runners/sneakers, they dont give a shit unless they are an sf member

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

They will be fine, you are being interviewed not your shoes> few interviewers will notice, fewer have any clue what they are as long as they are clean and even fewer give a damn.

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

With the interview being your most important concern, go with black or Borboun. Both are still versatile afterward. Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  6. maxvand

maxvand Member

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful responses.

7. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I think a brown Strand is perfectly acceptable, given your field. Perhaps it wouldn't be acceptable in, say, banking or high profile law firms, but my friends who are engineers are some of the most poorly dressed people I know. From my understanding, anything north of sneakers counts as a dress shoe (as do some black sneakers, apparently).

Anyway, if they even notice you're wearing real dress shoes, I doubt they'll care that there's a lot of decoration.

8. celery

celery Senior member

This is what passes for a "nice dress shoe" for 99.99% of the population:
    [​IMG]

If you are wearing anything better than that, no one will notice (unless you go with some outlandish color).