• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brogueing non-brogue shoes

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
I have a pair of plain brown derbies that seem to have fallen out of favour in my rotation. I never feel like wearing them and I think they just seem a bit dull. So, is it possible to have a pair of shoes 'brogued' without damaging their structure or whatever?

If it is possible where would one go to have it done, and how does one go about deciding on patterns and such.

The shoes weren't cheap and i'd like to get more wear out of them, I think if they had a bit more to them they would seem like less of a waste.

Thanks
LYM

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
no.

regards,

PBG

haha, short and sweet, fair enough. Just OOI why isn't it possible? Theoretically to me it wouldn't seem too difficult to do but then again I know very little about these things.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
haha, short and sweet, fair enough. Just OOI why isn't it possible? Theoretically to me it wouldn't seem too difficult to do
NO
regards,
tlm

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The brogueing is done when the individual leather pieces that will form the "˜upper' (the top section of the shoe) are still individual pieces flat on the workbench. Once they are perforated, they get stitched together to form the "˜upper', that upper get pulled over the last and the sole gets attached.

You cannot reverse that process.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you would like brogues that are historically accurate of the 17th century, an emphatic no.

Cordially,

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
The brogueing is done when the individual leather pieces that will form the "˜upper' (the top section of the shoe) are still individual pieces flat on the workbench. Once they are perforated, they get stitched together to form the "˜upper', that upper get pulled over the last and the sole gets attached.

You cannot reverse that process.

Right-o, perhaps a bit of a stupid question in retrospect. Just wondered

thanks for your help,
I bow to your superior knowledge
smile.gif

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Unless you would like brogues that are historically accurate of the 17th century, an emphatic no.

Or you do your own version of Gieves & Hawkes' "buckshot brogue":

17collect_shoe.jpg

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
I actually have the Gieves and Hawkes buckshot gloves, i quite like the effect.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the point where I rate this thread one star.

edit - done

Newlaw

Reaction score
I think this is the point where I rate this thread one star.

So you are the loser that goes around rating normal threads 1 star all the time?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw
So you are the loser that goes around rating normal threads 1 star all the time?
Look, old man, rating threads on styleforum as a subversive yet fulfilling way of indicating distaste is about the only thrill left for me in this post-modern world now that Voxsartoria has left for Philippi.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newlaw

No, that's me

Regards.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Look, old man, rating threads on styleforum as a subversive yet fulfilling way of indicating distaste is about the only thrill left for me in this post-modern world now that Voxsartoria has left for Philippi.

Sounds like an exciting life

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads