• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broadway Show Suggestion

af1snaikboi

Reaction score
My GF has never been to a broadway show despite living in NYC for almost all her life. I wanted to get some suggestions on what shows you would suggest. Were young ~20yo so something maybe a bit around our age category.

The two shows i was looking at were Avenue Q and In the heights. I was looking at the lion king and they seemed to be sold out. Through entertainment link, it seemed i could get tickets about %40 off face value ($80 for the best tickets), if anyone could give me suggestions i would appreciate that. Thanks,

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Avenue Q with most of the original cast and it was very good. In the Heights does not have much of its original cast left at this point either, I don't think. But I'd still go see that.

Another option is Guys & Dolls. It's a classic and Oliver Platt is in it. All original cast. You could also see 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, though the original cast has moved on.

I suppose any of these would be good choices. With maybe Guys & Dolls last for you.

(Obviously, I prefer seeing the original cast and feel it's a treat to see them since I get to Broadway so seldom.)

b

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by af1snaikboi
My GF has never been to a broadway show despite living in NYC for almost all her life. I wanted to get some suggestions on what shows you would suggest. Were young ~20yo so something maybe a bit around our age category.

The two shows i was looking at were Avenue Q and In the heights. I was looking at the lion king and they seemed to be sold out. Through entertainment link, it seemed i could get tickets about %40 off face value ($80 for the best tickets), if anyone could give me suggestions i would appreciate that. Thanks,

In the Heights, Wicked, or Lion King (not necessarily in that order) are fantastic options. Any of the three would be great for a first timer.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Isn't this Conne's area of expertise?

No question.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When do you plan on going? There are a TON of shows that just opened/are opening soon.

Also, musical or play?

af1snaikboi

Reaction score
I plan on going at the end of this month, the 29th to be exact. And I suppose a play but since I've had no experience with either, couldn't really pick one over the other.

Thanks for the suggestions

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blithe Spirit will have just opened. It's getting raves in previews, which is not surprising considering the megawatt cast: Angela Lansbury, Christine Ebersole, Deborah Rush, Rupert Everett. It's probably the last time Lansbury will appear on the stage. South Pacific is one of the great all-time musicals and is worth seeing. Shrek: The Musical isn't exactly a creative masterpiece but Sutton Foster plays Fiona, and she never ever disappoints. The Cripple of Inishmaan is supposed to be unbelievable but it's closing on March 14th. Jane Fonda is supposed to be great in 33 Variations. West Side Story opens on the 19th IIRC. Arthur Laurents is directing after his success with Gypsy. I'd go and see this. Bonus shots of Blithe Spirit cast!
tn-500_bl5.jpg
tn-500_bl3.jpg
tn-500_bl4.jpg
tn-500_dsop.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I'll be checking out Angela and try to contain myself while flashbacks of Murder She Wrote come and go like hotflashes.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't mention "Murder, She Wrote" around theater people. Lansbury is a theater legend for her Mame, Sweeney Todd, Gypsy, Dear World, etc. performances, not MSW. If she wins a Tony for Blithe Spirit (a possibility), I think she will tie for most Tonys ever by a single actress.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Les Miserables a lot. But I know it's not a particularly timely or high brow selection.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've never been to a Broadway show before, does it not make sense to catch some tried-and-true show? Shows like Phantom, Lion King?

Once you know you like it, then move on to other more recent offerings.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
If you've never been to a Broadway show before, does it not make sense to catch some tried-and-true show? Shows like Phantom, Lion King? Once you know you like it, then move on to other more recent offerings.
No, because those are structured and marketed solely as income generators. There's little artistic value to shows like The Lion King, particularly with mediocre casts that are performing the show 10 years after it is first debuted. The word "stale" comes to mind. Now, revivals like West Side Story, Blithe Spirit, etc. are worth seeing. They are canonical shows for a reason, and the producers of these revivals try to make them both big draws and artistic masterpieces. Seeing something like Phantom or Lion King is a total waste of money, particularly when one realizes that this is an unusually good season for Broadway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics