• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brits with american accents

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why do british pop/rock acts sing with an american accent?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
probably the same reason why canadian singer shania twain has a midwest twang when she sings.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all do. But many (most?) of them were weaned on American pop, so that's the sound they naturally developed with their music. I was just watching a Dusty Springfield DVD a couple of weeks ago, and the contrast between her (soul) singer voice and her speaking voice was mildly fascinating.

Even for American singers, singing articulation can be quite different from spoken articulation, depending on the style of music being performed.

ATM

Reaction score
Many (e.g., Rolling Stones) were influenced by American bluesmen and try to copy their sound.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Not all do. But many (most?) of them were weaned on American pop, so that's the sound they naturally developed with their music. I was just watching a Dusty Springfield DVD a couple of weeks ago, and the contrast between her (soul) singer voice and her speaking voice was mildly fascinating.

Even for American singers, singing articulation can be quite different from spoken articulation, depending on the style of music being performed.

does this explain 'the spice girls' singing with american accents?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used to hear them a lot when i went to the gym. i liked posh, and the slutty one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i used to hear them a lot when i went to the gym. i liked posh, and the slutty one.

huh? which is NOT the slutty one?
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lest you forget, may I remind you all...

Americans don't have accents, we speak normally. British people have accents. Aussies have accents.

I mean, we invented English for chrissakes.
How can we have an accent???

colgate.gif

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why do british pop/rock acts sing with an american accent?

Coldplay,Artic Monkeys,Oasis,James Blunt probably 4 of the biggest acts in England.Not an American accent anywhere.
Ok so you have said The Spice Girls,but who else?

borace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Lest you forget, may I remind you all...

Americans don't have accents, we speak normally. British people have accents. Aussies have accents.

I mean, we invented English for chrissakes.
How can we have an accent???

colgate.gif

Utter bollocks, it's about time you lot learned to speak the Queens English properly.
smile.gif
tongue.gif

Do Americans have trouble telling the difference between London and Australian accents? Often when in NY I've been taken for an Aussie, when in fact I hail from North London.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I hear the other way around a lot more.....American bands singing with a faux British accent, as if that gives them more credibility since any decent band comes from/came from there anyways. And having many anglophile friends, I hear quite a bit of British colloquialisms coming from the mouths of Americans. It's all bollocks I say!

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does this explain 'the spice girls' singing with american accents?

Since when do the Spice Girls sound even remotely American? The only song of theirs I can think of is "tell me what you want, what you really, really want," but they sound completely British on that one.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Since when do the Spice Girls sound even remotely American? The only song of theirs I can think of is "tell me what you want, what you really, really want," but they sound completely British on that one.

Yeah that is true actually.When I posted earlier I couldnt think of any of their songs so couldnt really comment.But thinking of that song(I also cant remember the exact name)the English accents are very strong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics