1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

British workwear / heritage brands

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ManofKent, Jan 22, 2011.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I maaaaaayyyyy just have some Tender in the mail to me right now direct from our friend William. There are some nice pieces at Independence here in Chicago and I mean to get in to look at them, but it remains easier to have someone mail me the stuff from England...

2. troika

troika Senior member

Yaaaa I go see the tender stuff regularly over at S&S. Does anyone in London stock them?

3. FrankCowperwood

London trip sounds very cool. How long will you be there? Any plans to tour around outside of London?

Couple of requests.

Please, on my behalf:
    1. Eat a cheese and onion sandwich and/or a ploughman's lunch.
    2. Enjoy one of those shortbread/caramel/chocolate squares they make.
    3. Clotted cream.
    4. Drink some tasty beer that we Americans would consider flat and warm.

I don't have any particular insight about London Tender stockists, (you've already thought of this...) but give William at Tender an email on the topic.

4. troika

troika Senior member

Woo yeah! Gonna be there for about 6 days of work + 2 for visiting, then over to Ediburgh for a couple days (and yeah amazon just delivered me some icebreaker base layers this morning...i hear it's gonna be a hell of a winter)

Last time I was there I got to see all the Saville Row/Jermyn stuff plus a few swd stores like DSM, RL, and Yohji, now I'm keen to see Real McCoys, Nigel C, RRL, Son of a Stag, etc.

1. I had to look this up, and while I haven't had it in London before, it turns out this is very similar to what my Ukranian grandparents fed me as a kid
    1.5 yes I will try haggis, I have a feeling I'm gonna like it
    2/3 undoubtedly
    4. Don't care much for beer, so I will be hitting the scotch

5. FrankCowperwood

1. Makes sense. Both countries have used plows.

1.5: Haggis: Like liverwurst meets oatmeal as I recall it. A more fearsome reputation than deserved.

4. Murmurs go round the Dedlock Arms, some approving others not, and the publican raises an eyebrow.

1 person likes this.
  6. FrankCowperwood

Old Town Report:

[​IMG]

Moleskin is very nice. Heavy and going to break in nicely I think. I like the olive color. Vauxhall waist construction is certainly something a little different.

Marshalsea coat fits nicely in the shoulders (I think), body is roomy and it is definitely not cropped in length. No buttons on the cuffs, just a small cutout and you can turn them up once. Flannel is heavy and more like a Melton wool than flannel that you'd use for suiting. In line with what I wanted.

Loomstate color would allow you to add your own club crest and ribbon trim for a DIY school/boatie etc. blazer. If that's your thing.

Good stuff.

2 people like this.
  7. FrankCowperwood

@Superb0bo

Putting further discussion here in case the WAYWRN folks aren't that interested.

Jacket is a size 42. It's a full 31.5 inches in length, and it's got a straight cut through the body. Leave plenty of room and gives that sort of bell shaped silhouette, especially when you stuff your hands in the pockets.

I may have to try something in your signature black linen next. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Thanks! What size are you typically in sport coats?

Their linen is really good. Also have the borough + plains suit in black canvas.. :embar:

9. loanshark

loanshark Senior member

I just ordered borough + plains suit in navy drill. Really excited and will post pics when they arrive

10. TomHoskin

TomHoskin New Member

11. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

You say you make some of your products out of "organic bamboo".
    So you start out with organically grown bamboo, can you trace and confirm it?
    It doesn't need pesticides to grow, what about herbicides and chemical fertilizers?
    In the end it's either Rayon or Viscose, both of which are synthetic - the manufacturing process for these materials is highly toxic and dangerous, especially in parts of the world that supply the vast majority of these materials.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

What makes "organic" superior in this case?

Does it perform better?
    Does it have a reduced environmental footprint?

I ask these questions because in most cases organic produce requires more fertilizers and more "natural" herbicides that end up having a larger environmental impact then the non-organic equivalent.

13. FrankCowperwood

Interesting. I'd like to read more about this. Can you point me to a reference?

14. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

The part about "larger environmental impact then the non-organic equivalent" is new to me.
    Let's see the science.

1 person likes this.
  15. paxonus

paxonus Member

I came across these guys while searching for moleskins:

http://hebtro.co/trouser-town/

Interesting story and the products look great. I don't think you can't find a pair of trousers anywhere else for the price that are guaranteed for life.

16. FrankCowperwood

Fabrics look ok. Cuts look generic.