• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British ties

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Apparently, they do. At least, they sell ties that are labeled exclusively as 'Atkinson's Irish Poplin'. O'Connell's sells them.

All the IP ties I own have that label, even the ones clearly made by someone else (e.g., Hober).

Bellum

Reaction score
I like T&A
wink.gif

Haven't had the pleasure of buying Drakes

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some recent H&B made in England (only the 50 oz silk though) but not sure if they still make any there. RJ ties, N&L are all made in Italy too.

Is Oscar Udeshi still making ties (and shirts)?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I believe that RJ [T]ies are ... made in the UK. They are extremely nice.
You've introduced your OWN line and didn't tell us? But, of course they would be nice. Any medieval tapestry designs?

When I look through my ties ... the stand outs are the usual ... Drakes, Charles Hill, New & Lingwood, T&A.

While I am a fan of British tailoring and shirtmaking ... I am not so loyal when it comes to the makers of ties. In terms of woven patterns ... I can't stay away from Charvet and Knize.

I know that many of the tailors on SR offer ties ... and while I tended to avoid for most of the 70s-90s ... the quality seems to have improved of late.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drakes all the way. My Drakes are probably my favorite ties.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about other Jermyn St brands?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
What about other Jermyn St brands?

They are brands, and with few exceptions, don't make ties (or shirts), never mind in Britain.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Apparently, they do. At least, they sell ties that are labeled exclusively as 'Atkinson's Irish Poplin'. O'Connell's sells them.
Mafoofan, Yes, Atkinsons do indeed make ties in Ireland and they have for many years. They are a wonderful family style company that really is a pleasure to work with. They used to sell some fabric to tie makers, but currently Sam Hober is the only company in the world that Atkinsons sells Irish poplin to. We are also the only makers of bespoke Atkinsons Irish poplin ties including 6-fold ties and pocket squares made from Atkinsons Irish poplin. If "British ties" include the UK then I would cast my vote for Atkinsons Irish poplin as the best British ties, based on the wonderful quality of their Irish poplin as well as their history and tradition. I am not sure but they may possibly be the oldest maker of ties in the UK. If not the oldest then one of the oldest.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I've seen some recent H&B made in England (only the 50 oz silk though) but not sure if they still make any there. RJ ties, N&L are all made in Italy too.

Is Oscar Udeshi still making ties (and shirts)?

RJ ties are now made in Italy? A great artist dies in me.

Udeshi is a designer. A very talented one, who has high standards for the quality of the items he sells.

Originally Posted by Will
I can't stand their ties.
I thought you had a favorable blog post about them? Or at least their pocket squares, which could make FNB blush...

Originally Posted by RSS
You've introduced your OWN line and didn't tell us? But, of course they would be nice. Any medieval tapestry designs?
The only RJ-branded spinoff I launched was the late RJ cat. Join the Posse. OBEY feline.
When I look through my ties ... the stand outs are the usual ... Drakes, Charles Hill, New & Lingwood, T&A.

While I am a fan of British tailoring and shirtmaking ... I am not so loyal when it comes to the makers of ties. In terms of woven patterns ... I can't stay away from Charvet and Knize.

I know that many of the tailors on SR offer ties ... and while I tended to avoid for most of the 70s-90s ... the quality seems to have improved of late.
You would like the ties at A l'escalier d'argent in the gardens of the Palais Royal.

BAB

Reaction score
How are Harvie&Hudson silk ties?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones in Henry Poole look nice too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads