• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Suits in America

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I have seen discussed the American V. Italian suits. Do British suits have their own look? Are there any available in the USA? I'm not talking Bespoke, I'm not ready to put down $4000 on a suits. I'm talking off the rack british. I figurw if they are available they have to be in NYC and I work in the city, so any advice would be appreciated.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want a British look, or British make?

Off the rack, RLPL is pretty damn English. I'm sure they still have a nice selection at the Mansion over there. They have a stunning charcoal with narrow chalkstripe in a cashmere blend from last season. Most of the suits would be $1400 to $1600 after the 50% off. The past few seasons have been knocked for having overly wide and padded shoulders, but the few models I've tried on this season haven't struck me as such.

As far as British-made, I'm at a loss.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Do you want a British look, or British make?  

Off the rack, RLPL is pretty damn English.  I'm sure they still have a nice selection at the Mansion over there.  They have a stunning charcoal with narrow chalkstripe in a cashmere blend from last season.  Most of the suits would be $1400 to $1600 after the 50% off.  The past few seasons have been knocked for having overly wide and padded shoulders, but the few models I've tried on this season haven't struck me as such.  

As far as British-made, I'm at a loss.
But what is the British look?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly heavier fabric usually. Very nipped waist. Shoulders sometimes a bit more sharp (but not always -- some of RLPL tries to be Anderson and Shepard like with softer shoulders). Slightly wider shoulders. Ticket pockets are common. Pants with forward pleats and slightly longer rise/wider leg openings.

I always think of British styling as slightly more "military inspired" than Italian styling. Just more structured. But again, there are notable exceptions to this.

Go check out the Purple Label stuff. I love their suits. You'll definitely see the difference between PL and, say, Zegna.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

boston

Reaction score
Also Burberry, Dunhill, Acquascantum (sp?)

I also think Barbera can look sort of english.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Paul Smith. It's Italian made, but most definitely British in design and fit. There are different lines that progress in quality as you go up (PS, London, Mainline) and at retail, can be too expensive for what you get. Right now, though, all of the new stuff is coming in, so all of the past season is 50% off. With the discount suits will range from high 400's to about 700 or so. I think a mainline suit at 700 or so is a pretty good buy. And again, you won't get more British than Paul Smith.

Dan

Fashionslave

Reaction score
The best RTW British suits are Chester Barrie,hands down.If you go to Saks,Barney's or Bergdorfs,they all carry CB.Excellent cut,fabrics,and very comfortable to wear.
wink.gif

bryce330

Reaction score
Paul Smith.  It's Italian made, but most definitely British in design and fit.  There are different lines that progress in quality as you go up (PS, London, Mainline) and at retail, can be too expensive for what you get.  Right now, though, all of the new stuff is coming in, so all of the past season is 50% off.  With the discount suits will range from high 400's to about 700 or so.  I think a mainline suit at 700 or so is a pretty good buy.  And again, you won't get more British than Paul Smith.

Dan
Dan -

Are you referring specifically to the Paul Smith store in NYC? Do they have many sale items left?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know CB still sold RTW models in the USA. Hield is a good call, but I don't think they rank well with RLPL. They seem to have lackluster details like buttons, picking, etc. Just doesn't look like a great suit, though they definitely have a British cut.

Can't recommend Burberry -- their top of the line is Italian made and I don't see much English influence in that line. The lower line has shades of English in it but it's only half-canvassed.

Paul Smith peddles a lot of crap in the U.S. Do they sell any of the full canvas models over here?

Out of all the recs, the best suits are obviously the Chester Barrie and the RLPL. Hield next, just because I've never seen a non-fused Paul Smith suit stateside (not to say they don't exist).

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I was in Saks today and didn't notice any Chester Barrie suits. I did see Hield, the orginal sticker price was $1250. I think Paul Smith is a little too wild.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
(amirrorcrackd @ Jan. 30 2005,17:00) Paul Smith. Â It's Italian made, but most definitely British in design and fit. Â There are different lines that progress in quality as you go up (PS, London, Mainline) and at retail, can be too expensive for what you get. Â Right now, though, all of the new stuff is coming in, so all of the past season is 50% off. Â With the discount suits will range from high 400's to about 700 or so. Â I think a mainline suit at 700 or so is a pretty good buy. Â And again, you won't get more British than Paul Smith. Dan
Dan - Are you referring specifically to the Paul Smith store in NYC? Â Do they have many sale items left?
Yeah, the 5th Ave store. They had a lot of merchandise there, and essentially the whole store, minus a few new arrivals was 50% off. Some of the prices were still hard to stomach though. They had a beautiful pair of pants I considered, but at $210 after discount, I opted against it. Absolutely worth checking out though. The suit selection was getting slim, but lots of trousers, shirts, and accessories. Not many ties on sale. Some shoes on sale too, which was a good thing, though I didn't look at them closely. Dan

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you want it, Turnbull and Asser in NYC/LA sells suits made by Chester Barrie under its own name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads