• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Shoe Sizing

why4009

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had a quick question. How do shoes like Church's, loakes, grenson run in size? What I mean is I understand that a UK size is the equivalent of a larger US size shoe (UK9 = US 9.5), but let say for example a loake or grenson says it is the equivalent of a 9.5, does that run true generally?

Let me rephrase (turkey coma coming on). Will a loake or grenson that says it is equal to a 9.5 US be about the same as an AE in 9.5?

I bought a pair of church's that ran a bit larger than the conversion indicated and I am trying to avoid that mistake in the future.

I read this link http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1512 but it didn't quite help.

Thanks.

Why4009

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I would love to solve this problem, but there is no solution. It depends on the manufacturer, the last and the pair you actually wanna buy. It is not maths, it is shoes. And they are all different!!!

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
A quick comparison on my own feet regarding Loake sizing

My size 9 (UK) Loake Oxfords are a good fit, snug, comfortable, not too loose and not too tight. In other words just right.

My size 9 (UK) Rockport brogues are a tad roomier but not loose.

My size 9 (UK) Ecco half-brogues are like my Loakes a good fit & perhaps a tad tighter than the Loakes

My size 9 (UK) Dr. Marten Gibson shoes are also a good fit but a bit loose now after 10 years and still going strong.

So from that I can conclude that a size 9 Loake is a true size 9 in comparison to 3 other pairs of leather shoes.

However, something you need to check out is the UK - US sizing equivalents. Because I've always seen that a size 9 Uk is equivlaent to a size 10 Us not a 9 ½.
Becasue whenever I buy a pair of UK size 9 training shoes or boots of any sort it always says US 10 on the inside of the tongue........hang on..... just checking the Dr. Martens boots I'm wearing today....

Right, it says the following on the tongue, rather strange with a medium and large US size, I don't know how that system works, but here is the legend anyway:

9 UK
10 M US
43 EUR
11 L US

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Hmmm. I would love to solve this problem, but there is no solution. It depends on the manufacturer, the last and the pair you actually wanna buy. It is not maths, it is shoes. And they are all different!!!
+100 I think you need to just try them on. I've found that Loakes tend to run large, Edward Greens on last 202 tend to run a little bit too narrowly for my feet, C&J's - their lasts generally fit my feet the best, but width and actual fit vary depend on the model ... there's just too much variation for an easy "English shoe" generalisation...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the lasts I've tried, Loake seem a tad larger than Grenson, but not the equivalant of a half size.

Edward

Reaction score
I once ordered two pair of shoes in the same size and style and by the same manufacturer but different colors. The black ones fit perfectly but the brown ones pinched. Since then I don't buy shoes without trying them on first, even if it involves missing nice shoes that can only be gotten (by me) online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.2%

Forum statistics

Threads