• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Lambswool, Cordings, Alain Paine, etc.

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

probably a weird season to ask this question, but does anybody have any insights and tips regarding British/Scotish lambswool knitwear?

Reason is, I bought a few lambswool pullovers at Cordings in January after being a pure cashmere person for probably 15 years. I am amazed by the quality and comfort, so I tried finding similar webshops.

Can anyone share comparisons of Cordings with the knitwear from Alain Paine and Oliver Brown or maybe even vouch for one of them or any other lambswool knitwear provider? Is there anything to know about the mills where they source their fabrics from?

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Stay safe everyone!

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like William Lockie. Sturdy, easily accesible, reliable fit and not expensive.

Lol1000

Reaction score
I like William Lockie. Sturdy, easily accesible, reliable fit and not expensive.

I have followed-up on this a bit more.

In fact, Cordings was kind enough to tell me their suppliers, which is actually William Lockie. However, I still struggle with finding a shop that has a size S from them.

I ordered a couple of pullovers from Alan Paine, but no comparison. Not bad, but not as comfy and fluffy as the Cordings/WL ones.

I will reach out to WS directly and ask if they can make few in size S.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have followed-up on this a bit more.

In fact, Cordings was kind enough to tell me their suppliers, which is actually William Lockie. However, I still struggle with finding a shop that has a size S from them.

I ordered a couple of pullovers from Alan Paine, but no comparison. Not bad, but not as comfy and fluffy as the Cordings/WL ones.

I will reach out to WS directly and ask if they can make few in size S.

Lockie is top stuff. Their most offical retailer is Teviotdale Mills, they will probably will tell you to contact them.

When you say size S you mean pit-to-pit 20 inches (aprox 50cms)? If yes, you should be able to find this size in most online shops that sell Lockie.

Otherwise, Drake's and Anderson&Sheppard sell rebranded WL (though a little overpriced) in sizes XS and XXS (38 and 36 as per Lockie sizing).

Lol1000

Reaction score
Lockie is top stuff. Their most offical retailer is Teviotdale Mills, they will probably will tell you to contact them.

When you say size S you mean pit-to-pit 20 inches (aprox 50cms)? If yes, you should be able to find this size in most online shops that sell Lockie.

Otherwise, Drake's and Anderson&Sheppard sell rebranded WL (though a little overpriced) in sizes XS and XXS (38 and 36 as per Lockie sizing).

It´s rather about arm-length, as I have shorter arms than usual sizes it seems. I also thought about Drakes and Armoury, so good to know it´s the same producer. Thanks anyway!

Lol1000

Reaction score
It´s rather about arm-length, as I have shorter arms than usual sizes it seems. I also thought about Drakes and Armoury, so good to know it´s the same producer. Thanks anyway!

I took this a bit further and bought a sweater and a cardigan from Teviotdale Mills. Their website was down for months, but ultimately they reopened and had a few items on sale. I had to place the order by phone, though, as they had some trouble with my delivery area. I was also waiting for Drakes to give some rebates due to their available sizes, but still today I find it too pricy. Ahume didn't have any smaller sizes like S or 38.

I really have to compliment William Lockie for their craftsmanship. I bought a grey Aran pullover in Lambswool as well as a Merino navy cardigan. The pullover is very soft and super fluffy. In fact, it seems to be a stock surplus from a Japanese order from United Arrows and fits very well.

The cardigan is a bit rougher and sturdier, which surpised me, as I thought Merino was the softest wool. Slightly confusing, as I have a Merino vest bought at Cordings, which is extremely soft. But all good, though, at 70 bucks it was a fair bargain and I was looking for something to wear when outside in autumn in the park.

Sizewise, both are size 38 and fit quite well. The pullover is perfect, whereas the cardigan could be 1 cm longer on the sleeves, but in fact it has roll-up sleeves, so I will just see how it adjusts to my body and then maybe roll the ends down.

@aristoi, thanks a lot for this hint! I love this community of experts!

20200720_193924.jpg
20200720_193949.jpg
20200720_194041.jpg
20200720_194113.jpg

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy to see you liked the stuff.

Later in the year will order a batch of cashmere pullovers. Still hesitant whether going to Lockie or to A&S
The latter is pricier but fits me better.

Shetterd

Reaction score
Great purchases! Just discovered William Lockie myself (got a shawl-collar cardigan from A Hume). How might you (@aristoi bcn) go about hunting down a colourway which no stockists appears to offer, but which they all claim exists on their websites (they have little swatches)? Thanks!

Lol1000

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. Can you clarify? What colour are you looking for?

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a few more jumpers for the season, two lambswool from William Lockie (Moorings Knitwear) and one Merino directly on sale from John Smedley. Fantastic stuff.

A few observations:
- The WL are the same size, as my previously purchased Cordings WL/lambswool pullover, which was their size M. Cordings told me they do their own WL runs, so not a bit surprise, but good to know. I was looking for the right fit and now I am certain that S is the right fit for me.
- I might be wrong, but the Cordings WL is a bit softer, at least so far, probably because I wore it more often so far. I hope they turn out the same over time.
- The new WLs are model "Leven" with a saddle-shoulder. The Cordings one does not have a saddle-shoulder. So far not difference in wearing.
- the sleeves of the new WL are a bit wider, not too much, but still noticable

The JS is unique, very soft, very nice colour. I almost feels like knit-underwear and I will definitely layer this under a cardigan or so.I paid 85 GBP on their website, so quite a bargain. Sleeves are maybe 1 inch longer than the WL, but it still fits and you can theoretically roll up the cuff.

Attachments

• 20200908_132737.jpg
    20200908_132737.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200908_132741.jpg
    20200908_132741.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200908_132634.jpg
    20200908_132634.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200908_132748.jpg
    20200908_132748.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200908_132820.jpg
    20200908_132820.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Lol1000

Reaction score
Can someone help me with understanding this:

I checked the labels of the knitwear purchased over the last couple of months, and it seems somewhat inconsistent. My light-green Cordings pullover has a tag that says 100% pure new wool (even though their website says 100% lambswool), but my dark-green William Lockie jumper I purchased online (which should be exactly the same except the Cordings label) says 100% lambswool.

Also, the WL cardigan I bought says 100% pure new wool on the woolmark, but then it says 100% Merino on the WL label.

The navy cardigan could be a labeling screwup, as it was an outlet item anyway. But how can the Cordings jumper say pure new wool? Isn't pure new wool something different to lambswool?

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.19 PM.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.04 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.04 PM.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 39
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.12 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.13.12 PM.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 124
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.33.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-27 at 6.33.36 PM.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 125

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Cordings lambswool knitwear, and in my experience it tends to be a little more generous fitting and has a softer finish than WL branded lambswool. Their geelong sweaters are very nice too.

Marshak

Reaction score

I agree. Lockie is fantastic, sturdy fabric, relaxed but not loose fit, excellent neck support. I have two lambswool rollnecks I bought maybe 20 years ago which are in perfect fit. For your info, the customer service of WL is incredible. Since I didn't find any rollneck in their collection or on the site of Teviotdale Mills, they agree to make me a copy respecting the specs of the original model. Mindblowing service.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Lockie is fantastic, sturdy fabric, relaxed but not loose fit, excellent neck support. I have two lambswool rollnecks I bought maybe 20 years ago which are in perfect fit. For your info, the customer service of WL is incredible. Since I didn't find any rollneck in their collection or on the site of Teviotdale Mills, they agree to make me a copy respecting the specs of the original model. Mindblowing service.

wow that's a good piece of information.

I might contact them to order 2-ply cashmere rollnecks in colours to match my bespoke woolen cashmere. Their stock service only has the 1-ply rollneck in very basic colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads