• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brioni trunk show advice?

fdbaker

Reaction score
First: Hello. I've been reading here extensively over the last few months, since I discovered the furum, but have only contributed a couple of random posts. I have learned quite a lot, and respect the community SF has assembled. I have always cared about style, but have only gotten serious about it in the last year or so. For better (appearance, comfort) or ill (depleted bank account) that will happen when you start shopping at Wilkes Bashford. I have been buying suits of significantly higher quality and style, but with the exception of one MTM from E. Zegna, they have all been off the rack.

So the sales guy invited me to a Brioni trunk show WB is putting on at the end of this week, and I made an appointment for Thursday afternoon. I plan to order one suit, and I want it to be the most elegant and timeless suit in my closet (thinking single-breasted, two-buuton, peak lapels). But I have never been to a trunk show before, and have no idea what to expect; frankly, it's making me a bit anxious. Can anyone whose done this before tell me how these things go and what I should anticipate? I guess a bottom line question is: Can I realistically expect significantly improved fit because I'm being measured by (I'm told) Brioni's top tailor?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a notched lapel for a more "classic" look. The peaked lapel is traditionally associated with double-breasted suits, whereas the notched lapel is more traditional on single-breasted.

Just out of curiosity, what is the price difference between Brioni OTR and MTM at WB? I was in Barney's in NYC the other day, and an SA told me that they charge the same price for MTM suits purchased through them as they do for comparable OTR suits in the same fabric. Is that generally the case?

fdbaker

Reaction score
I'll find out for sure Thursday. From comments the SA made (I didn't ask the question directly), I got the impression that price for the MTM would be the same as OTR for the same fabric/cut.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go in with a clear idea of what you want but they'll show you options too. Don't get in a panic over all the choices and most of all: they should be there to serve you.

If you have pictures of the fit you want, similar materials, bring those too.

And think about the small details perhaps you haven't so you aren't surprised:

How many buttons on the sleeve? Lapel width? Leg taper? Type/color of lining? etc.

Have fun!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the different models ahead of time - go to WB ahead of time to get ideas of which Brioni models you'd like best - do you prefer a slimmer model with narrower lapels like the Millennio or a classic model like Nomentano or Palatino? Of course I do not know which models WB actually stocks to try on... I would also recommend staying away from a peak lapel, unless you already have a closet-full of all the basics and want a suit that is fun but perhaps less utilitarian...

iron_ball

Reaction score
Brioni OTR is expensive enough to begin with. If MTM were more, I'd tell you to go full bespoke. As it is, you're going to be paying $1000 or more for the label alone as compared to bespoke. It's up to you to decide how much of that $1000 is the brand's unique cut and styling, and how much is ... "it's a Brioni!"

Personally, every time I've dared to glance at a Brioni price tag, I've shuddered and stepped carefully away from the suit as if it were made of nitro-glycerine -- but that's just because I'm a damn sight less wealthy than their target market. I recognize that Brioni is among the best.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I would also respectfully submit that, if you are looking for a "timeless suit" that you can wear often, to go with notch lapels.

The single breasted peak lapel suit is a very old and unusual style. It was seen sometimes in the early part of the 20th century, and almost always with a vest. The vest is part of the original look, which makes for a very dressy, formal looking suit.

In the last couple years, the fashion industry has revived the SB peak lapel suit--this time without a vest. This latest incarnation of the style has been more of a "fashion forward" statement.

Due to its formality, rarity, and association with a 2006 fashion trend, I think the SB peak is a less versatile option. The notch lapel, with lapels that sit neither too high or low, and are neither too narrow or wide, but suit your body type, is the suit style you will be able to wear easily and appropriately for many years to come IMHO. But, if you have your heart set on peak lapels, who am I to stop you?

And if you can afford Brioni MTM, by all means go for it. The quality is grand. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

fdbaker

Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I am rethinking the peak lapel issue. Fortunately, I have worked with the same SA for the last year, and he has an excellent eye and sense of style. I've been sort of shocked by the number of compliments I've received (even from strangers on the street) when I have worn items he recommended that I may not have picked out myself (including an OTR cashmere Brioni suit). So it helps that I trust his judgment and he will assist me through the process. I'm really looking forward to it, despite the small sense of anxiety.

fdbaker

Reaction score
This turned out to be a memorable experience. The Brioni guys were very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. I probably haven't had as much custom work done as many members of the forum, but to me the skills of the Brioni tailor were extremely impressive. My SA told me he learned a lot from watching him work. In two months I will have what I predict will be a quite beautiful suit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely post pictures when you get the suit.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fdbaker
This turned out to be a memorable experience. The Brioni guys were very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. I probably haven't had as much custom work done as many members of the forum, but to me the skills of the Brioni tailor were extremely impressive. My SA told me he learned a lot from watching him work. In two months I will have what I predict will be a quite beautiful suit.

Nice! Bet you feel great.

What did you go with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads