Brioni sport coat opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ipcorplaw, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ipcorplaw

ipcorplaw Member

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Do not like the detailing on the waist to be honest.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Looks like a waiter's jacket.

4. ipcorplaw

ipcorplaw Member

My wife said the same thing, and she thanks you.

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

What are your thoughts on this sport coat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

There's not much time to go in the auction, and I would pass. Here's why.

1: It's a very old dated coat as shown by the dated styling, and as such doesn't seem very desirable to me.

2:I don't think solid "coffee-brown" is a very desirable color.

3:The "classic Brioni buttons" really date the coat.

4:It features "Faux" Flap pockets that are ridiculously long (they look to be about 5').

Do yourself a favor and pass on this one. While it may be hard to get a desirable Brioni at this price or less immediately, I think you can do much better on Ebay, either by waiting for a better Brioni deal(there will be one), or as an alternative, picking up a contemporary Oxxford, Zegna, Canali, etc., of which there are plenty listed right now. Good Luck!

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

hate it.

7. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Looks like something Saddam Hussein might wear.

8. ipcorplaw

ipcorplaw Member

There's not much time to go in the auction, and I would pass. Here's why.

1: It's a very old dated coat as shown by the dated styling, and as such doesn't seem very desirable to me.

2:I don't think solid "coffee-brown" is a very desirable color.

3:The "classic Brioni buttons" really date the coat.

4:It features "Faux" Flap pockets that are ridiculously long (they look to be about 5').

Do yourself a favor and pass on this one. While it may be hard to get a desirable Brioni at this price or less immediately, I think you can do much better on Ebay, either by waiting for a better Brioni deal(there will be one), or as an alternative, picking up a contemporary Oxxford, Zegna, Canali, etc., of which there are plenty listed right now. Good Luck!

Thanks! I just removed from my watch list, and added this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009

Seems like a good deal if it stays under $100.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brioni used to be more of a "couture" company than they are today. Some of their vintage stuff is pretty wild. This coat falls in that category.

10. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Thanks! I just removed from my watch list, and added this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=009

Seems like a good deal if it stays under $100.

This is definitely a better choice. Good styling and color. But many on this forum are not fans of Boss. You ought to go to the this Forum's Search Fuction and do some research on Boss. Basically, the complaint is that Boss is sold mostly on style and marketing and is not of particularly high quality. They are OK, but Boss doen't compare to the middle-upper Italian brands such as Canali, Zegna, Corneliani, etc. And Boss is not remotely like the best RTW brands like Oxxford, Brioni, Barbera, Borrelli, etc.

Having said all that, if you like the Boss and can get it for under $100, it would be OK, but again, if you are patient and do your research(use this Forum), I think you can do better on Ebay.

11. ipcorplaw

ipcorplaw Member

This is definitely a better choice. Good styling and color. But many on this forum are not fans of Boss. You ought to go to the this Forum's Search Fuction and do some research on Boss. Basically, the complaint is that Boss is sold mostly on style and marketing and is not of particularly high quality. They are OK, but Boss doen't compare to the middle-upper Italian brands such as Canali, Zegna, Corneliani, etc. And Boss is not remotely like the best RTW brands like Oxxford, Brioni, Barbera, Borrelli, etc.

Having said all that, if you like the Boss and can get it for under $100, it would be OK, but again, if you are patient and do your research(use this Forum), I think you can do better on Ebay.

I understand that many on the forum are not fans of Boss. I've been watching eBay for a couple of weeks and have not seen much at this price point, so I'll put in a bid and see what happens.

Can you comment on the Zegna Blue Label Suits? I've seen a bunch on eBay, and the prices seem reasonable e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEGNA-SUIT-BLUE-...QQcmdZViewItem

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I understand that many on the forum are not fans of Boss. I've been watching eBay for a couple of weeks and have not seen much at this price point, so I'll put in a bid and see what happens.

Can you comment on the Zegna Blue Label Suits? I've seen a bunch on eBay, and the prices seem reasonable e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/ZEGNA-SUIT-BLUE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Look out on that one man. It's not actually made by Zegna, only the cloth is. That's a common deceptive practice on ebay.

13. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Those are not Ermenegildo Zegna suits. Zegna is a textile firm and sells suiting cloth. Many sellers claim the suits are Zegna when only the cloth is and the construction is usually far inferior to Ermenegildo Zegna suits, which are hard to find for less than $1,000. That suit is a fused $300 suit made with Zegna cloth.

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

The Brioni seems rather tried and may need to be put out to pasture.