• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brioni Roma suit? Age?

sdb5057

Reaction score
I just snagged a Brioni "Roman Style" Roma suit off ebay for $200 even. It is red lettered and red stitched. How old is this thing?

I can't find any good info on label history. I am just curious... a $200 Brioni is a $200 Brioni, you know what I mean?

sdb5057

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
It's their main label that they've been producing for oh, 20+ years. Chances are that if you paid $200 then that's what it's worth and not much more.

Thanks! I just wanted to know. I can't find a half decent suit for that price range in NYC. Might as well go for one of the better quality makers and fix it up if it needs work.

For example, right now I am wearing a 4 month old suit I had bought for $450 and it's already falling apart in the stitching on one arm.

I would hazard to guess a nicely built brioni suit will last ages longer than that, and would at least be worth the maintenance.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
with some better pics (you not holding the camera) we might agree!

as usual, a little tailoring will probably go a long way though too

sdb5057

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
Don't have anything to work with here. I'll try and find a stand of some sort later...

PTWilliams

Reaction score
The majority of the jackets in my closet are Brioni or Kiton from Ebay.
I think it not too unusual to pick them up from $100 to $275.
Kiton go for about $160 to $320.
Hermes for over $300.
The better informed would probably recognize that the style isn't current, but if you avoid the extremes I think they still look quite stylish.

Of course where I am (San Francisco Bay Area), the dress standards are slightly above homeless.
And I bet less than 1 out of 200 have even ever heard of Brioni or Kiton.

My opinion may not be worth much though, I've yet to score more than 2 votes on the Friday competitions.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a solid suit in good condition. I'd say that for $200, you did just fine. Always plan on taking any suit to a good tailor.

sdb5057

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
It looks like a solid suit in good condition. I'd say that for $200, you did just fine. Always plan on taking any suit to a good tailor.
I already sent in an oxxford suit to bhambi's (the tailor and oxxford store itself were amazed at how nice it was). Well worth the money I paid on that one. Back to this brioni: I just found some random stains in the pants lining that was not mentioned in the description. Depending on the ability of the tailor/dry cleaner to fix it, I may have to return it or demand at least 50% refunded. I paid much less for the oxxford in nearly perfect like new condition(old but hardly worn). I liked how the seller noted the 1-2 almost non existant spots on the arm, but not the obviously large stains on the lining!
teacha.gif
They seem to be well reputed sellers, so I will be very civil about the issue.
boxing[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sdb5057

Back to this brioni: I just found some random stains in the pants lining that was not mentioned in the description. Depending on the ability of the tailor/dry cleaner to fix it, I may have to return it or demand at least 50% refunded. I paid much less for the oxxford in nearly perfect like new condition(old but hardly worn).

Just pay the $20 to have them relined. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a suit that has been worn more than a handful of times with a light colored lining that won't have minor stains on it.

sdb5057

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Just pay the $20 to have them relined. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find a suit that has been worn more than a handful of times with a light colored lining that won't have minor stains on it.

Well of course, but it's worth getting at least a decent discount on what I paid..
smile.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sdb5057
I already sent in an oxxford suit to bhambi's (the tailor and oxxford store itself were amazed at how nice it was). Well worth the money I paid on that one.

Back to this brioni: I just found some random stains in the pants lining that was not mentioned in the description. Depending on the ability of the tailor/dry cleaner to fix it, I may have to return it or demand at least 50% refunded. I paid much less for the oxxford in nearly perfect like new condition(old but hardly worn).

I liked how the seller noted the 1-2 almost non existant spots on the arm, but not the obviously large stains on the lining!
teacha.gif

They seem to be well reputed sellers, so I will be very civil about the issue.
boxing[1].gif

Get the suit dry cleaned. Chances are lining stains will come out. Seller should compensate for that. Ask in advance.

Asking for $100 of your $200 back sounds a bit high. If the condition is that horrible, just ask to return it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics