• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brioni or T&A Bespoke Shirts

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I agree with Shirtmaven that you should make a decision between the two shirts in that they have different styles, construction, finishing, and fabrics.

I am more partial to Turnbull, and I have been a customer. I never had a problem with customer service and fittings. In fact, the customer service has always been excellent, and a visit to the store has always been an occasion and fun.

The only problem with Turnbull are the time delays in that you're dealing with an English factory, and the time delays are greater than at a local shirtmaker. I imagine the time delays are also an issue with Brioni. (They have been a problem when I ordered Borrelli.) If you're the impatient type or if you need your shirts within 3 weeks, then don't have your shirts made abroad. Instead, use a local shirtmaker.

Another thing to keep in mind is that both the Turnbull and Brioni shirts have built into them the high overhead factors of the stores, advertising, promotion, and shipping back and forth.

Generally, the English shirt has less luxurious fabric than its Italian cousin, and therefore the English one has more firmness in the hand. The classic Turnbull shirt is made from 80's cotton which has more body than the higher numbers. Also, the English shirt is known for its bold stripes and patterns. The Italian shirt might be bolder in solid colors, but it is more subdued in patterns. Also, the English shirt has a higher collar than the Italian shirt.

Another thing to keep in mind is that essentially Turnbull is a shirt company with its own factory. Although Turnbull also sells suits, its fame is based on its shirts and accessories.

Ultimately, you have to like the look offered by either Turnbull or Brioni.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brioni are my least favorite of the high-end RTW shirts that I own. If you want a great machine made shirt, (which Brioni is) go with Charvet.

Pink22m

Reaction score
As has already been said, these are radically different shirts. I have and like both, but, for the money, I prefer Fray for a RTW Italian shirt. That said, Brioni has held up very well over time in the wash, T&A somewhat less so.
I would love to try Fray, but they are quite scarce. Where have you purchased yours?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I would love to try Fray, but they are quite scarce. Where have you purchased yours?
They have them at Neiman Marcus downtown. Lots of them.

Pink22m

Reaction score
They have them at Neiman Marcus downtown. Lots of them.
I don't know if I recall seeing Fray at the Neiman Marcus in Union Square, but next time I am there, I will look for them. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that their Barba's are going to be cut full like their Borrelli's.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
I don't know if I recall seeing Fray at the Neiman Marcus in Union Square, but next time I am there, I will look for them. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that their Barba's are going to be cut full like their Borrelli's.
I should warn you that they are the ugliest shirts that I have ever seen. They are on the Stefano Ricci table if that gives you any hint to how NM bought them
snork[1].gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Brioni are my least favorite of the high-end RTW shirts that I own. If you want a great machine made shirt, (which Brioni is) go with Charvet.

Someone brought in a Brioni to have altered to my shirtmaker, Charles Nakhle in Sydney. He showed it to me and it was a serious disappointment. The fabric was probably milled in Turkey and not top drawer. The construction was mediocre for the price - something more like what you'd expect from Hugo Boss. I would agree that Brioni shirts are to be avoided like the plague, even if their suits are excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads