• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brioni or Kiton Suit

Ctaranti

Reaction score
I am interested in getting one really great suit, in a charcoal with pinstripe. I am thinking about either Brioni or Kiton but wanted to get some feedback on these brands. Are they comparable from a quality standpoint? Durability? Style? Is one preferable to another?
If you were only buying one, which would it be?
I have not tried either on yet, and obviously I will go with what feels fits better but was curious on what
the preference here is.

Thanks,
Chris

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ctaranti
I am interested in getting one really great suit, in a charcoal with pinstripe. I am thinking about either Brioni or Kiton but wanted to get some feedback on these brands. Are they comparable from a quality standpoint? Durability? Style? Is one preferable to another?
If you were only buying one, which would it be?
I have not tried either on yet, and obviously I will go with what feels fits better but was curious on what
the preference here is.

Thanks,
Chris

They are more or less equal, so for me it comes down to how it fits with your body style. Try them both on, I have both and it would be splitting hairs to choose between them. Also, the Brioni is a more Roman style suit, harder shoulders, the Kiton is softer in the shoulders.

My personal experience is that my Brioni pants fit better, but my Kiton jacket fits me better.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually you can lose with both if the cuts don't fit you well.

If you are going to go RTW, you really should try on a lot of different makers because the cuts can make a huge difference. For example, I have learned that Corneliani and G Vasta suits tend to look good on me, Canali looks ok, and Barbera and Zegna don't look good on me at all. This has nothing to do with the quality of the manufacture. Both Brioni and Kiton undoubtedly make great suits. But whether they fit you well may be another story.

For a lot of makers, different models are going to look different on you. Hickey Freeman's Barrett model suits, for instance, fit me perfectly in size 42. Hickey Freeman's Madison model suits fit me better in size 41, and look good, but still don't look quite as good as the Barrett 42. Hickey Freeman's Canterbury models don't look good on me in any size.

pkincy

Reaction score
My personal preference is Kiton. Partially because the OTR e54L fits me near perfectly and the Brioni 44L is a bit too big, but mainly because I prefer the Kiton fabrics.

If I travel my Brioni will wrinkle as you might expect after packing. Somehow the 14 micron Kiton fabric will come out of a suitcase fold as if it was on a Hanger Project hangar the entire trip.

And the normal cashmere fabric of the odd jackets and their soft construction is a fantastic experience to wear.

Perry

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
My personal preference is Kiton. Partially because the OTR e54L fits me near perfectly and the Brioni 44L is a bit too big,

Not suprising since a US 44 is an Italian 56. Do the math.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard that too, but I fit some 42r jackets and some 52 Italian but a 54 is always too big.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO, it's the brand that fits you better. Kiton fits me much better than Brioni.

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Actually you can lose with both if the cuts don't fit you well.

If you are going to go RTW, you really should try on a lot of different makers because the cuts can make a huge difference. For example, I have learned that Corneliani and G Vasta suits tend to look good on me, Canali looks ok, and Barbera and Zegna don't look good on me at all. This has nothing to do with the quality of the manufacture. Both Brioni and Kiton undoubtedly make great suits. But whether they fit you well may be another story.

For a lot of makers, different models are going to look different on you. Hickey Freeman's Barrett model suits, for instance, fit me perfectly in size 41. Hickey Freeman's Madison model suits fit me better in size 41, and look good, but still don't look quite as good as the Barrett 42. Hickey Freeman's Canterbury models don't look good on me in any size.

Totally agree with you. I love Corneliani and it fits like mtm to me while Zegnas fits very bad on me.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Not suprising since a US 44 is an Italian 56. Do the math.

-1. You do the math. This is not set in stone and varies by maker and how it fits your body. I would say a 52R in Isaia's "S" base fits like (and measures to) a US 42R, and certainly not a 40R.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
I've always been more partial to kiton but with the amount of money you're about to spend you could get a made to measure of something else. For me a good suit is always about three things.

1- Fit
2- Fit
3- Fit

if you have a unbelievable hand made suit that doesn't fit you just look like a jackoff

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
-1. You do the math. This is not set in stone and varies by maker and how it fits your body. I would say a 52R in Isaia's "S" base fits like (and measures to) a US 42R, and certainly not a 40R.

I did the math. The further you get from 48 the less the plus ten rule of thumb works.

A 52 is a 104cm. Which would be a 41.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
A 52 is a 104cm. Which would be a 41.

A RLPL 41, a PRL 41, a RLBL 41, a JaB 41, a HF 41?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what about Canali?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads