Brioni Master Tailor and Trunk Show at Wilkes Bashford San Francisco

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Aug 22, 2014.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Brioni will be showcasing four of it's master tailors at Wilkes Bashford in San Francisco on September 5th and 6th. In addition to special fabrics exclusive to this event, they will be demonstrating the execution of working buttonholes, manual placement of patterns on fabric and monogramming. The goal is to give customers a Brioni factory experience. They also mention that this is their largest ever trunk show event. It should be an interesting event and an opportunity to see beautiful fabrics and tailoring.

2. GusW

Any Styleforum gents heading over for this event tomorrow or Friday? I'm thinking about dropping in. The last trunk show at Wilkes they had loads of amazing fabrics and sample garments and accessories that you never see in a regular RTW setting.

3. Viral

Viral Senior member

Sounds interesting, but I'm sure pricing is astronomical.

4. malat

malat Senior member

Yep. I've seen on at least one occasion some of the gentlemen that attend these drop $100k on suits. They are playing in a different league.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

5. Viral

Viral Senior member

they aren't playing in the league - they are the commissioners!

$100K for a suit???

6. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I would love to check it out just to gawk at things. They're *certainly * out of my price range [​IMG], but the tailoring demonstration sounds very interesting.

He said "suits", plural. With Brioni suits going $5K to $7K RTW or so, I'd guess that meant he witnessed someone buying a whole wardrobe's worth at once.

7. Viral

Viral Senior member

haha......I totally read that wrong!

Either way, I'm not sure 7K is reasonable either.

8. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

No argument there. If I were going to spend that much on a suit, I'd go bespoke, not RTW, no matter how much handwork it has. I'm quite happy with my current MTM options at a fraction of that.

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

The decision that many make to spend bespoke prices for RTW is convenience. The nearest true
    bespoke to San Francisco is probably Despos in Chicago, although there are several practicioners
    in the LA area who are low profile and probably not in the Despos league or the level of the
    New York tailors. I'll be in Naples, Rome and MIlan in a few weeks and am not even considering
    getting anything made, because I won't be around for fittings, nor would I want to have to fly to
    New York in a few months for a fitting. NSM is the only Italian tailor that visits the Bay Area as
    far as I know and I don't really like their work. As for Brioni, they have a long reputation for
    very high quality. However, I never tried on a model that I liked or looked good on me.
    That includes Wilkes' offerings.

What are your current MTM options? I am very interested.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

11. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Steed and Chan visit SF. Steed in October, I think

12. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Yup. Their unstructured jackets work well for me, and their customer service is excellent.

I haven't tried the more structured shoulder options, but considering I work in software in San Francisco, where even the most washed of casual jackets is a couple of rungs more formal than the norm at my workplace, and my co-workers ask why I'm wearing a suit when I'm wearing a tweed sport coat and corduroy jeans...I'm not likely to buy much that's too structured and formal.

Fair point. If the RTW cut fits your anatomy [​IMG]

13. GusW

There are obviously many wealthy people around who like the service, the brand name, the style and overall experience that comes from buying Brioni RTW or MTM at a place like WIlkes Bashford or any one of the other top menswear stores that offer it. Bespoke can be a real hassle (fit, delays, limited selection, delays, egos, delays...did I say delays??) . It can be a real luxury to pay a retailer to handle all the details and any problems. Many people prefer to try on or see examples of what they will get from viewing sample garments at trunk shows or off the rack.

14. comrade

comrade Senior member

They're bespoke.