• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to gauge the interest level in bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to either San Francisco or Los Angeles. They've been asked by a small amount of people over the last few years if they would make a West Coast trip, but they need considerable interest and guaranteed orders up front, as it's very time consuming and expensive to start further trips in addition to the four they currently make on the East Coast.

Would any members here be interested? I'm currently talking to Matthew now, and he notes that the soonest they could come is early 2013.

If you are interested, please note whether you could meet them in San Francisco or Los Angeles. I'm personally happy to travel to either.

For those unfamiliar, you can get more information about Steed at their website and this thread.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody? There has to be a few Californians here interested.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that it would be interesting to have a suit made by them (or maybe, for me, a sportsjacket that would make some of you blanch) and document the process as well. I wonder what is the heaviest cloth that they have, and whether it could handle some real sports.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I think that it would be interesting to have a suit made by them (or maybe, for me, a sportsjacket that would make some of you blanch) and document the process as well. I wonder what is the heaviest cloth that they have, and whether it could handle some real sports.

Steed has a short four part, start to finish, series called, "A Work in Progress," about the making of two jackets:

http://steeds-view.blogspot.com/

The links are in their own box in the right hand navigation column.

As I noted in the A&S expat thread recently, when the new Steed website goes up, bespoke customers can follow the progress of their orders online.

The heaviest cloth they have is the heaviest cloth one might obtain in the UK or the heaviest that a customer might bring to them to make up.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make them run to California and there will be a prize in it for you (whatever LeatherSoul sent me for voting).

doughboysc

Reaction score
You know Savile Row suits are out of my price range you dig!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why - rather more informal generally.

True, but half of SF is more or less dedicated to tailored clothing, and the anniversary party was well attended. So I assume there has to be a handful of Californians who might be interested in getting something from one of the best tailors in the world.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I spoke with Edwin today and he notes that they could come out if they had upwards of ten orders. We have three interested parties so far, so I thought I'd make one final push to see if anyone else is interested.

Steed does fantastic work, some of which you can see in their online gallery. If you're interested, please let me know. I think it would be quite a special thing if we could get them to come out.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
One reality that's facing you is that the vanishingly small (vanished?) contingent of coat and tie wearers in Cali who are also interested in the London Lounge look of A&S are already being serviced by A&S and also by Tom Mahon (does Tom still travel to San Francisco?)

I'm surprised that Mina trucks out there...I have my doubts there's enough continuing demand after the initial flurry. After the charm of seeing Alcatraz wears off, it could be too exhausting to dodge the hipsters and derelicts.

A traveling business is built on customers who order every trip or at least every year, year in, year out.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

One reality that's facing you is that the vanishingly small (vanished?) contingent of coat and tie wearers in Cali who are also interested in the London Lounge look of A&S are already being serviced by A&S and also by Tom Mahon (does Tom still travel to San Francisco?)
I'm surprised that Mina trucks out there...I have my doubts there's enough continuing demand after the initial flurry. After the charm of seeing Alcatraz wears off, it could be too exhausting to dodge the hipsters and derelicts.
A traveling business is built on customers who order every trip or at least every year, year in, year out.

Mahon still visits, but I feel like Steed offers something unique, even when compared to A&S and Mahon. I would have thought there'd be people interested in trying that out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads