• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles

owengeronimo

Reaction score
Derek - I can get the the word out here in San Francisco. I am the creative director of 'Dapperhood: Menswear Styling Network' here in SF.
I need to find out more details about the purpose of this trip or what do they hope to accomplish and.... dates?
/Best Regards/
Owen Geronimo

Last edited by a moderator:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The dates haven't been set yet, partly because we don't know if we can even get the requisite number of orders. We're close at this point, however, and I'm talking with Steed about possibly coming out for the orders we have.

The purpose of the trip is to simply give men an opportunity to buy a suit from Steed Bespoke Tailors. You can read more about Steed on their website. Edwin DeBoise, the co-founder and cutter at Steed, makes a very unique and interesting silhouette based off of the London drape cut. Slightly fuller in the chest, very soft shoulders, and a nipped waist. It's a traditional English suit with a softer construction, and is said to give some men a more flattering, athletic shape.

I'm hoping to put a final call on orders in the next couple of weeks, as we either have enough interest or we don't, so if your members are interested, please have them contact me soon. If there is enough interest, we can persuade Steed to add one more stop to their US tours. As is, they only visit parts of the East Coast and Chicago.

Note, I'm organizing this because I'm interested in becoming a client of Steed, not because I have any other business relationship with them.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm confused on why you seem so adamant on Steed, and only Steed? Both A+S and Mahon travel to the West Coast (the younger Hitchcock may as well). I've tried both Steed and A+S, and the cuts are very very similar, despite DeBoise's (somewhat petulant) online statements on how the original A&S cut has been 'lost' at the firm.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think all four cut different kinds of silhouettes, though rooted in the same tradition. Also, process here is as important to me as the product, by which I mean how the pattern has been drafted. I know you've expressed skepticism and indifference to this, but to me this isn't about final products, it's about the value of the process itself.

I also think things ought to be not so commodified on here. A thing from X maker is a thing from X maker, and Y making something similar does not make it from X. If you're interested in a maker, then you're interested in a maker. This isn't just about an acquisition of goods.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also think things ought to be not so commodified on here. A thing from X maker is a thing from X maker, and Y making something similar does not make it from X. If you're interested in a maker, then you're interested in a maker. This isn't just about an acquisition of goods.

Fair enough, but I was just surprised at the considerable effort to bring a tailor whose style can largely be replicated by others who already visit your city. If you desire a Steed suit purely for wanting the Steed 'brand' and nothing else, then that is fine as well. I'm not going to pretend that my purchases are made in a more rational manner :).

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had ever had a suit made by one of the names you mentioned, you might know why he would prefer a suit made by Steed.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you had ever had a suit made by one of the names you mentioned, you might know why he would prefer a suit made by Steed.

How cute, you've seen 2-3 photographs of A&S and Mahon suits online, and now you're an expert. Yay for you!

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The two shown are enough. My point was that the couple of less than ideal Anderson and Mahon suits shown online are hardly indicative of the majority of either firm's output. The color / texture of your grey suit is what it is, unless your camera is defective.

I have no problem with grey herringbone. I just don't like your fabric.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - I have suits from both Steed and Andersons (as mentioned above). They are very similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads