1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

You must have problems with reading comprehension. Scroll above and read the posts - I asked why he wanted a suit from Steed when similar ones were available, he gave his reasons, and I agreed accepting that my purchasing rationale was often similar. Comprende?

I realize you're pissed that I didn't love your herringbone suit in the other thread (I offered, imo, a fairly mild critique), but try to move on.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

3. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I have no issue with you and my suit. I will not lose a moment of sleep honestly.

4. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I can't really be sure about this since we are dealing with Bespoke here and its really individualized to the customer, but the suit i had made by steed looks nothing like the pictures you see of A&S, Thomas Mahon maybe but certainly not A&S. Again i can't say for sure i mean who knows maybe if i commissioned one from A&S it would turn out exactly the same, but the fact is that Edwin is well regarded cutter who many on this forum can vouch for, and his prices are "a bit" lower than hitchcock, mahon, and certainly A&S.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Just to announce, for all interested parties - Steed just booked their first ticket to San Francisco, and will be arriving on Saturday, April 13th, then leaving Tuesday, April 16th. The hotel location is to be determined.

As per their usual schedule, they plan to return every three months or so for fittings. I'm not sure if they'll return once this initial round of orders is completed. If there's enough interest, they'll be happy to come for subsequent orders. Otherwise, this may be the only time for Californians to try out Steed's work.

You can contact Steed directly for appointments.

For more information about Steed, you can check out the Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates thread.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Congratulations on getting them to come to San Francisco (and securing the prerequisites).

7. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Is anyone going to meet with Steed in SF tmw?

8. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

I'm seeing them Sunday afternoon.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

What time?

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

What are you guys making up? I'm meeting up with Steed in DC.

11. dieworkwear

Planning to order a BlazerSuit (either Oyster or Steadfast), pair of fawn brown flannel odd trousers, a sport coat from LL's houndstooth Shetland, and a brown herringbone jacket, though I've yet to decide the fabric on that. LL's Etna looks great. I wish I could find a tweed version of that color, but if not, I'm thinking of something darker, and just get the Etna made up when the cloth is available.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Wow - that's a fairly large initial order. I know you like the Steed style, but it wouldn't hurt to start small and see how you like the initial garments. I have found bespoke to be very much an iterative process, with each subsequent order better in small, but meaningful, ways.

Btw, for the BlazerSuit, I would go w/ Oyster and not Steadfast. Steadfast is beautiful but heavy, thereby limiting its utility.

1 person likes this.
  13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I'm bringing them my LL RAF blue Agnelli flannel. Planning on a 3 piece suit. Trying to decide on the details of the vest. Lapels or no lapels. :decisions:

14. Eustace Tilley

I haven't seen this fabric. Would you have any pics?

15. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I wonder if steed might have wanted guaranteed minimums to add a new city to their tour.

16. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

17. Eustace Tilley

18. dieworkwear

I would also prefer a smaller order - as in just one suit - but Steed had a minimum. We actually didn't even meet the small minimum they asked, but they've been exceptionally nice about everything and are still coming out.

Thanks for the note about the Steadfast. Do you know if it has a more visible weave than Oyster? I was going to base my decision mostly on that. Was hoping to get something that leans towards the blazer part of a BlazerSuit.

That's a fantastic fabric. I've been eying that as well. I think Slewfoot recently got something made up by Steed in this? Beautiful stuff.

19. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

Just got back from seeing them, had a nice time.
    Ordered a fairly standard three piece, in a medium gray glen check with a subtle blue over check. I've managed to forget which cloth, but I think it was a Lesser, in around 11/12 oz.
    I also ordered 2 shirts.

Matthew said they are busy enough this trip that they are going do four trips a year to SF.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  20. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Even though they have a minimum, you might consider asking if they will finish the first suit before cutting the other garments. That way, you have a pattern down before they start your second piece and you reduce your risk of getting two garments with a fit that is less than ideal.