Bringing Steed Bespoke Tailors to San Francisco or Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Jun 18, 2012.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

What is this unique attribute? Both Mahon and De Boise were trained side by side at A and S so it is difficult to see what is so significantly different.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

They cut very differently, in my opinion.

In Edwin's case, I'm not sure that "trained" at A&S is exactly the right description. He adopted the A&S style, cut it at A&S for years, and continued to cut it when Steed was formed.

Rather than give you my impression, I'll quote an old Manton post from eight years ago:

Keep in mind that at the time that Edwin and Tom were at A&S, there were several senior cutters, each with their own take on the A&S style. It wasn't as monolithic as it is today.

Also, Edwin was at Nutters. It is my opinion that his days with Sexton also influence his cut.

There's overlap today between Tom and Edwin, but their centers of gravity are not the same. That's how it should be.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I would add that Mahon seems to cut a softer looking, more drape-ish jacket, whereas Steed seems to have a cleaner back, less drape in the front, and a more swollen chest. Those are just my observations, however, and I welcome any corrections.

Perhaps one could ask for something similar from Mahon, and perhaps he would do it for you, but I thought since Steed's cut already looks so great, it would be quite special if we could have them come out to California. They could make some very handsome, softly-tailored fall or winter jackets.

The alternative, by the way, is to visit Edwin and Matthew in London. They said it would take about two weeks to complete a jacket. That's a bit less convenient than if we could have them visit us.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

4. rob

rob Senior member

I suppose none of this bodes well for Milwaukee.

Rob

5. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

That, or meet with them during one of their current stops on a U.S. tour.

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

How to choose between Mina and steed?

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

This is not a valid question for most. One either likes one or the other, and maybe neither. And that's that.

A couple of us like both, and wear it.

A few more wear both SR and Italian stuff, more generally speaking. I can think of five guys on SF, off hand, but no more.

Given that StyFo has, we're told, over 100K members, these examples are not significant.

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Which do you prefer

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

In the last eleven years, I've had nothing for the summer made by Steed.

So, this summer, everything that I'm wearing is NSM, MBT, or Borrelli RTW from their old departed Linosa/Sorrento line.

When fall comes, though, I'll wear Steed almost exclusively except for a few NSM and MBT numbers.

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Isn't your mbt paul jheeta?

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Really? Surprised to hear that; does that include people with multiple accounts?

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Mario Zuccala.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

No.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

:bigstar:

15. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

There are people on the West Coast that like tailored clothing. The problem you are facing here is that many of those people are probably not reading Style Forum, at least on any regular basis. You might find a decent number of men in the Bay area who may be interested in Steed, but I have no idea how you would go about getting word out to them. Then there is the issue of how many have heard of Steed? The Venn overlap between Style Forum (as a vehicle for frothing up interest), men who like tailored clothing on the West Coast, and men who have heard of and would spend money on Steed is probably not large.