• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing jacket into store - stupid?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
I have worked with many customers who bring in a small swatch and I have worked with many customers whom send in a swatch. In many cases its like trying to guess what the puzzle is like with one or two pieces. As a store owner I would prefer you bring in the jacket.

I prefer to have you bring the jacket in, that way I can show you ties, shirts and trousers that coordinate.

Poindexter

Reaction score
I do it all the time. I like ties and accessories to give a little bump, and the boundary between that and bloody awful can be suprisingly narrow. Like the guys above said, you're already an oddball for caring what you look like, so who cares what some doof with his ballcap on backward thinks?

I do make it a point to stop at the checkout or greeter (especially in thrifts) to show them the jacket and get their okay. It's good will.

Aloha,

Poinz

SuitMyself

Reaction score

I have worked with many customers who bring in a small swatch and I have worked with many customers whom send in a swatch. In many cases its like trying to guess what the puzzle is like with one or two pieces. As a store owner I would prefer you bring in the jacket.

I concur. Bring it in.

You're not good at your job if you need to see the entire jacket in front of you.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You're not good at your job if you need to see the entire jacket in front of you.
I guess not then. So when a customer brings in a swatch of fabric from a large patterned sports coat or suit that only shows part of the pattern you are able to reconstruct the entire pattern in your mind? I am IMPRESSED!

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I guess not then.

So when a customer brings in a swatch of fabric from a large patterned sports coat or suit that only shows part of the pattern you are able to reconstruct the entire pattern in your mind?

I am IMPRESSED!

I am not trying to be rude or anything. It's my opinion that any clothing professional should be able to coordinate colours and patterns with just a small swatch.

And yes, I am able to do so myself. When I buy shirts and ties for myself, I do not need to see the shirts and ties placed on top of my jackets to know if they coordinate. I can already picture everything in my head.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not trying to be rude or anything. It's my opinion that any clothing professional should be able to coordinate colours and patterns with just a small swatch.

Yes. But again if you dont have the entire pattern, and how many times a color repeats it makes it difficult. Besides customers like to see an entire look, not to try and costruct it in their minds.

And yes, I am able to do so myself. When I buy shirts and ties for myself, I do not need to see the shirts and ties placed on top of my jackets to know if they coordinate. I can already picture everything in my head.
Except for olive suits, eh?

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score

As a clothing pro and master-tailor for 30 years, I have the gift of being able to picture everything in my head from a small swatch, however, the client usually does not have this gift and it is easier to sell him (or her) ties and other accessories if THEY can see it all together and not just from a swatch.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Except for olive suits, eh?

Olive is my Kryptonite.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
After reading all this, I'm glad I'm colorblind.

Anomalous trichromat +1.

JensenH

Reaction score
This reminds me of an experience at Neimans. Some time ago, I walked in with a new sports coat purchased from another store. I took the s.c. out of the garment bag and proceeded to place ties on top of it. A salesman popped up next to me in the blink of an eye.

To this day, I still don't know if he was anxious to earn a commission, or thought I was going to steal those ties by slipping them inside the garment bag.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads