• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bringing Back Jantzen Fabric Samples

why4009

Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you know I am headed to Asia. I leave tomorrow night. I will be visiting Jantzen to get a few shirts made. The one thing I have noticed is people's issue with the fabrics (i.e. not knowing what it will feel like etc.). I was thinking I could do the following:

1) I could bring back some swatches of the more popular fabrics (I'll ask when I am there). Hopefully, the ones they normally stock
2) I could try and bring back some swatches that people on this board have a particular interest in (just list the number and all details on this thread).

I leave tomorrow so my cutoff is probably 5pm PST. You can keep adding and I might be able to check on this thread while on the road (going to some places where internet may be sketchy).

All I ask, I hope this is reasonable, would be a small handling charge ($5 no more than $10 depends on shipping - CONUS only, maybe Canada?), which would be requested only if I got the swatch. If you think this is a bad idea let me know. I am thinking I can help to prevent some headaches for people when the fabric is not as great as they hoped it would be.

BTW, how big (x inches by x inches) of a sample is needed to get a decent feel for the fabric? One inch by one inch sufficient? I might have to buy the fabric from Jantzen and then cut it up.

Like I said if this idea is "way out there" just let me know.

Why4009

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pay. Make sure that the samples you grab are of fabrics in enough supply that they're not out of stock by the time we order.
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a few white fabrics, these are always popular and many of them are terrible (like the one I got). And yes, get ones that are going to be in stock down the line.

papashonga

Reaction score
I am interested & pm sent.

Is there a catalogue of some sort for me to match up against? That way I can refer exactly to which fabric I am speaking of when onthe phone with them (thus avoiding any mix-ups and language barriers).

why4009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by papashonga
I am interested & pm sent.

Is there a catalogue of some sort for me to match up against? That way I can refer exactly to which fabric I am speaking of when onthe phone with them (thus avoiding any mix-ups and language barriers).

Try this link. http://www.jantzentailor.com/gallery.htm

If anyone is interested please do a +1 or something to indicate interest. I am more than happy to bring back swatches for the 3 that have posted but if I don't know of your interest, I may not bring back enough.

I think I am going to try to get at least 12 types of swatches of blues and whites. They seem like standard colors can't miss. I was given some advice to just feel the fabric and look for something soft and pliable vs stiff.

Why4009

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea and should save people a bundle cos they can feel the fabric rather than a useless picture. I think $5-10 is a very reasonable cost for this service, it will more than pay for itself with the first order, I know as I have 2 useless fabric J shirts!

Regards.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try to proposition them into giving you a bunch of swatches of their different materials. A lot of their materials are the same, just different patterns, stripes, colors, etc.

if you get a good amount of swatches, we could set up a system in the B&S forum to distribute swatches to people around this forum. If you get 1in x 1in. or whatever size, you could ship in a plain envelope and a $.42 stamp, so charge $1-2 for the time and stamp. it would be up to everyone who initially buys a sample to keep the chain going from person to person.

i think if you talked to Jantzen about an idea like this they would be more than willing to give you some samples.

just a thought

fauxreal

Reaction score
Hello--

Can i request some wool suit fabrics swatches to be picked up from Jantzen? Possibly Marzoni 130s or Loro Piana's?

style from the heartland

Reaction score
If not too late, from the website, I would love to get samples of any/ all of the following fabric numbers:

99, 144, 293, 392, 432, 467, 478, 527, 702, 1031, 1080, 1097.

Thanks very much for offering the service. If you can get any of these, or a general sampling of some claissical color pallates, I would love to send you shipping fee if you will just PM me. (I get on SF a few times per week only)

Best,

why4009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by style from the heartland
If not too late, from the website, I would love to get samples of any/ all of the following fabric numbers:

99, 144, 293, 392, 432, 467, 478, 527, 702, 1031, 1080, 1097.

Thanks very much for offering the service. If you can get any of these, or a general sampling of some claissical color pallates, I would love to send you shipping fee if you will just PM me. (I get on SF a few times per week only)

Best,

I'll do what I can. I will have access to the internet, it is just a matter of saying to my parents, "hey I need to check styleforum.net" and hope they don't give me a strange look! I wrote down those fabric numbers.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck. The place is a mess, and always is. I'm not sure how you're going to get out of there with these swatches. They're in books piled high in no organized fashion whatsoever... what are you going to do, try to cut out a half sheet from each? I suspect they'll just laugh at you... particularly if you've never shopped there before.

If you really want to pull this off, I'd suggest just lifting a few of the books while you're there. Drop them in a bag in a clandestine manner while everyone else is running around crazy.

I was there today and things were as hectic as ever.

style from the heartland

Reaction score
For us who haven't been and don't know the shop (obviously, if we are requesting samples), whatever you can get will be much appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads