1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bring Back the Ascot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I am not a fan personally, though I think it can be pulled off well by someone . . .

Something about them makes me think "middle-aged" . . . maybe its just me . . .

2. Chauncey Gardner

Chauncey Gardner Well-Known Member

Yesterday I looked at some handsome ascots in traditional stripes at Bergdorf's, rather English looking; they were available at a very good sale price.

Personally I prefer Italian designs for ascots, they are more carefree, and for years I have particularly cherished one from Cucci that is a pale sky blue with rich darker blue stripes, redolent of the Mediterranean.

3. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I am not a fan personally, though I think it can be pulled off well by someone . . .

Something about them makes me think "middle-aged" . . . maybe its just me . . .

yes, I think you need to be age 38 minimum. Nothing wrong with the look, just not on me.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

So I found as ascot at the store. Never considered buying one but it is a Prada grey with horizontal white pinstripe and was $15. Couldn't pass it up. Now for figuring what to wear it with...

5. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Why on earth would anyone want to revive the popularity of a look that appeals to him? That's the very last thing I'd want to have happen.

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Maybe I got the link wrong. but those are not ascots, those are simple scarves ( Ã[​IMG]charpes comme on dit ici )

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

A lot of the neckwear in the Sartorialist blog looked like what I would describe as "scarves," rather than "ascots" in American usage, what I think the British call "day cravats."

I wore ascots quite a bit around 30 years ago, got out of the habit, but I have gotten back into them of late. In the past year I have increased my collection of ascots from a solitary ascot from Beau Ties Ltd. to a total of seven, the most recent of which I purchased at Carroll & Co. in Beverly Hills Saturday before last. I got a lot of compliments the first time I wore it.

They are not readily to be had at most menswear stores. In Southern California, stores I have encountered that carried them include:

Carroll & Co.
    RL Polo BH (the one in South Coast has had them on occasion, too)
    Gary's Fashion Island (kinda pricey, about $130, as I recall)
    Brooks Brothers, South Coast ($150, ouch!)

Discount bargains in ascots seem very rare. Some Brooks stores were selling them cheaply awhile back.

Probably the best value in an ascot, in my experience, are those from Beau Ties of Vermont. They do not have as much fabric and are not quite as sumptious as those from Carroll & Co., but they cost a third less and are still quite nice. The Carroll & Co. ascots go for $95, the Beau Ties ascots are $65, with discounts for orders of any three items (bow ties, neckties, pocket squares, ascots, etc.) or more. Beau Ties calls their ascots "cravats." Their "ascots" are Velcro fastened affairs suitable for high school ROTC drill teams and such. I eschew solid-colored ascots for the reason that they look most appropriate for drill teams.

An ascot can really spiff up an otherwise mundane outfit. On any given weekend, there are millions of guys out there in sport shirts and khakis. The mere addition of an ascot adds a whole new level of faux-patrician elegance and panache to an otherwise utterly commonplace ensemble.

8. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

Any idea what boots these are? They look kind of like engineer boots with the buckle but then again they're a little more pointed.
    [​IMG]

9. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Ascots are hard to find in men's stores now.

I have to dispute that -- I've seen them in Tie Rack for about €30 or less! In Cork! I'm not sure if they have Tie Rack in the US, but it's a not-very-upscale shop (often found in malls). I can't think of a US point of comparison, but it ain't flashy.

They had quite a variety, and frankly, I'm tempted...

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I have to dispute that -- I've seen them in Tie Rack for about €30 or less! In Cork! I'm not sure if they have Tie Rack in the US, but it's a not-very-upscale shop (often found in malls). I can't think of a US point of comparison, but it ain't flashy.

I highly doubt there are a lot of ascots sold in Corcaigh, let alone men wearing them!

11. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Yes, the ones in the Tie rack qualify as Ascots to me

That is 100% silk and shorter and thinner than an scarve, it has a thinner band in the middle so you can wear it inside or around your shirt collar and maybe pin it.

these are Ascots

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is how it looks around the collar, best with a wing collar
    [​IMG]
    Here inside the collar
    [​IMG]

The ones in the blog are scarves, the kind almost everybody here in Europe wears when is colder. You can find them in cashmere, silk, wool, silk/wool, many of them are synthetic.

I don't have a real ascot but I bought me one scarve silk/wool from Tie Rack, that looks like the ones in the blog, but this is not an Ascot, you can't tuck it inside your shirt, it is too big, I also have 2 in silk one black one white... here are the pictures
    one is wool in one side, silk on the other, the other two are pure silk

[​IMG]

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I think its hard to wear an ascot these days and not look pretentious.

13. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think its hard to wear an ascot these days and not look pretentious.

It's like wearing black tie. Hard for some men to contemplate if no-one else will be wearing it but they may take a chance in the company of others.

Once you do it a couple of times you realize no-one pays attention unless you walk around pointing it out.

14. Sator

Sator Senior member

A lot of the neckwear in the Sartorialist blog looked like what I would describe as "scarves," rather than "ascots" in American usage, what I think the British call "day cravats."

Ascot is the American English for a cravat.

If you wear a cravat casually then then it is called a day cravat. It tends to be made out of smoother silk so that it is comfortable to wear against the skin.

Proper dress cravats are as rare as hen's teeth. They are best made out of woven silk so that the cravat pin can get a bite out of it. I would go so far as to so nobody makes proper self-tie dress cravats in the traditional colours and fabrics any more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if you do find a cravat these days - it will be a day cravat.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG] I don't believe this is an ascot in today's sense. It was really more of a tie as Robert de Montesquiou here is wearing it as.

16. Sator

Sator Senior member

[​IMG]

I don't believe this is an ascot in today's sense. It was really more of a tie as Robert de Montesquiou here is wearing it as.

On the other hand isn't it a bit wide to be a conventional tie in the modern sense? It could just be a cravat which has been tied in a slightly unusual and dandyish manner. Great frock coat BTW.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

On the other hand isn't it a bit wide to be a conventional tie in the modern sense? It could just be a cravat which has been tied in a slightly unusual and dandyish manner. Great frock coat BTW.
    True, I believe this is a long sort of muffler-type item. However, my point was that an ascot in today's vernacular wouldn't be appropriate to discuss the item in the picture, which served the purpose of a tie in the 19th century. Beau Brummell's famous anecdote of having to spend several hours to knot the perfect tie would have been in reference to something like this. I also think those fitted gloves are perfect, but then Count Robert de M. was the foremost dandy in his day; Huysmans based his des Esseintes character on his excesses.

18. Sator

Sator Senior member

This is why the English differentiate between a 'dress cravat' and a 'day cravat'.

You are right that when we say 'cravat' or 'ascot' the first thing that comes in mind is a 'day cravat'. However, as you point out just as Beau Brummell famously spent hours tying his dress cravats, a cravat can be a more formal type of neckwear too.

[​IMG]

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

20. fatty

fatty Senior member

i have to say unfortunately, that i'm really not a fan of it. Unless you're this guy, they're not something you can wear too often.