brilliant (!) inventions

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Brian SD, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I am convinced after indulging in the Flaming Lips DVD-Audio surround sound that 5.1 DVD audio is one of the coolest ideas ever. Other coolest inventions:

The iPod (no, not just portable mp3 players)
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Feel free to mention yours.

2. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

the internet Otherwise we wouldn't even be having this conversation  [​IMG]

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Brian, you should hear 6.1, it is even better

4. nightowl6261a

(Brian SD @ Feb. 25 2005,21:35) I am convinced after indulging in the Flaming Lips DVD-Audio surround sound that 5.1 DVD audio is one of the coolest ideas ever. Other coolest inventions: The iPod (no, not just portable mp3 players) Aqua Teen Hunger Force Feel free to mention yours.
    the inernet
    Thanks, Al Gore. French Dressing, see we really do need the French.

5. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

(topcatny @ Feb. 25 2005,21:51)
    I am convinced after indulging in the Flaming Lips DVD-Audio surround sound that 5.1 DVD audio is one of the coolest ideas ever. Other coolest inventions: The iPod (no, not just portable mp3 players) Aqua Teen Hunger Force Feel free to mention yours.
    the inernet
    Thanks, Al Gore. French Dressing, see we really do need the French.
    LOL

6. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

(Brian SD @ Feb. 25 2005,21:35) I am convinced after indulging in the Flaming Lips DVD-Audio surround sound that 5.1 DVD audio is one of the coolest ideas ever. Other coolest inventions: The iPod (no, not just portable mp3 players) Aqua Teen Hunger Force Feel free to mention yours.
    6.1 isn't really all that much better. The current 6.1 systems just combine the the two rear surrounds and pump them out of the sixth speaker.

7. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

The chopstick. Without it, the civilized people of the world would probably be eating with barbaric western utensils.

Oh, and Antiseptic. That was good too.

8. nightowl6261a

(nightowl6261a @ Feb. 25 2005,18:51)
    I am convinced after indulging in the Flaming Lips DVD-Audio surround sound that 5.1 DVD audio is one of the coolest ideas ever. Other coolest inventions: The iPod (no, not just portable mp3 players) Aqua Teen Hunger Force Feel free to mention yours.
    6.1 isn't really all that much better. Â The current 6.1 systems just combine the the two rear surrounds and pump them out of the sixth speaker.
    The Yamaha rxv2300 actually seperates the souns in the dvd mode, even if it is a fake seperation, and you will hear things differently through this system, although i would love to buy the newer 2500, my wife would kill me for spending that much on another system just to have a center rear, but the great thing is the rear sub, unlike some recievers, this has a rear sub hook, and i run 2 subs, one front one back independently and therefore you do get different bass from the rear bpubce as the sund passes through the room...i have an old yamaha 5.1 and it is not near as good on the quality, i use it in my bedroom....but combine the rxv2300 with a superb set of mirage speakers and a 400 watt front sub and 200 watt rear sub and the sound comes out great and crisp

9. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

Getting milk from cows. What was the thought process for the first person to try to do this? Look, there's a large animal and I'm going to start squeezing and pulling on its anatomy untill I get some form of liquid which I will drink.

10. Roy

Roy Senior member

That's what I often wonder about myself [​IMG] Or just making bread [​IMG]

11. TheRookie

TheRookie Senior member

DVR (e.g. Tivo)

Satellite Radio

12. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I couldn't agree more. Especially one that records HD and with two tuners, so that you can watch one channel while recording another, or record two channels.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

(TheRookie @ Feb. 26 2005,10:59) DVR
    I couldn't agree more. Especially one that records HD and with two tuners, so that you can watch one channel while recording another, or record two channels.
    Agreed. I love comin home and bein able to watch any south park that was on that week.

14. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I'm not nearly tech-nerdy to get most of this stuff, but isn't one feature of bass that the ear can't distinguish it's direction?  That is, 'front' and 'rear' subs might be putting out different noises, but the human ear can't distinguish which is actually coming from the front and which is from the rear.

Tom

15. ken

ken Banned by Request

Meh. As an art project, perhaps, but so long as live sound engineers don't feel like setting up 30 speakers in and around a venue, stereo recordings won't be usurped (from bands that still like to reproduce what they do live on record, rather than bands that like to reproduce what they record while playing live, anyways).