Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Briefcases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dhc905, Aug 4, 2007.

1. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

I was going to post in the quick question thread, but I imagine that someone else will probably be thinking about more or less the same question, so they can search for this thread.

I'm looking for a cool briefcase for work that will hold my 15.4 inch thinkpad + a folder + random papers and possibly blackberry, calculator, keys, and a lunch.

I was thinking of an aluminium one (zero halliburton) but after I wore seersucker pants to work on Friday and was ridiculed for that, I figure that an aluminum briefcase, as cool as I think it would be, isn't suitable for the conservative minds at work.

I've looked at a couple brands - Tumi, Ghurka, etc - and was just wondering if any of the briefcase toting members here could proffer some insight into their most functional/best looking briefcases. I'm looking for something relatively slim with a side pocket (I don't want my computer smelling like my lunch) but that's not a necessity.

So please, if you have a briefcase that you really like, please post the mfg'er, the model (if relevent), where you got it, and why you like it enough to post here.

Thanks!

2. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

I had the same question recently. A few hours reading SF posts helped me out.

Here's what I concluded; one should have multiple cases for different occasions.

I ended up buying (off ebay) several Coach vintage soft leather cases for causal or around town. These can be had in new condition for $75.

I also bought a new Jack Georges leather case (ebay again) at a very deep discount.

I'd suggest doing a few searches, and consider getting a few different pieces.

3. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

4. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

There was a briefcase thread recently, and I am sure it is a weekly, or at least monthly, topic, so give the search function a whirl.

From the most recent one, though, I came away with the intention of buying a briefcase from www.customhide.com. The quality looks good, the price is right, and in the end you could always just get a custom made one with anything you want.

5. phooi

phooi Senior member

Check out a company called Glaser Designs. They are handmade in San Francisco.

6. redtree00

redtree00 Senior member

I have an Atlas case, always get compliments on it.

This is the case in natural belting, I have it in coffee color.

[​IMG]

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Many here will know that I am a serious fan of Zero Halliburton briefcases, so that's my choice. It gets, many, many comments -- they have never been negative. The worst are comparisons to James Bond, but frankly I get that without the briefcase also. As a point of interest, I wouldn't wear seersucker, and though I wouldn't mock someone with such sartorial fortitude, I can see how some would. The Zero is a little different -- but if you come of as a serious, hardcore type of guy the image works well. [​IMG] Regards, Huntsman

8. lee lin

lee lin Senior member

whats the opinion on Papworth? i was looking to buy a Swaine Adeney Brigg portfolio and came across the name. i use tumi a lot and they're very functional but they're not as elegant.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

They are made by the same factory that makes SA. They are also owned by SA. Last I heard that SA will sell them in their store, and cease supply to departments stores. It is supposed to be a notch below SA.

I like Bill Amberg's bridle work. Check them out.