• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase search - Tusting might be the winner

Mike147

Reaction score
I've been on a search for a nice leather work bag for quite some time now. Been using a TUMI messenger for the past 8 years - It's help up well for sure but doesn't have handles and is made of ballistic nylon... Again - great messenger bag and in my experience, TUMI stands behind their product. I checked out their current offerings - don't love the styling in leather and most bags are produced in China, so for the pricepoint, I don't need a second TUMI bag... The first one was a gift - very funny but I find myself carrying it from the top, as if it had a handle!

I've looked into Coach - at about $500, not the most expensive, but they're made in China - feel like i'm buying the brand for the $$$, not necessary the quality.

Ghurka bags are beautiful - certainly a MUCH higher price point and I'm not certain where all of their bags are made - some in Italy, some in China, etc... I mentioned on another post that a salesperson at Ghurka told me that they are brining production back to CT. Too expensive for me either way.

Saddleback look very cool - seems like they really stand by their product but I think they look a bit too rugged for my use (business).

I've spent some time looking a another 5-6 bag manufacturers as well - mainly from recommendations off of this board.

Tusting - So far, my research has been limited to this Board and Tusting's website. I like the fact that the bags are produced in the UK and the price point with shipping (on a number of the bags) comes in under $600. Not sure if the prices on their website include VAT. I'm seriously considering the following bags:

Melchbourne in Brown Bridle Leather:
http://www.tusting.co.uk/Leather_Briefcases_Melchbourne_in_Sundance_Floodlight.asp

Martson in Black Bridle Leather (or Brown if they will offer it):
http://www.tusting.co.uk/Briefcases_Marston_Leather_Briefcase_in_Sundance_Floodlight.asp

I don't need something huge - something to carry some papers, assorted sundries, a small umbrella and perhaps an ipad or very think laptop. I want something fairly light and need both a handle and strap option. I wear Black, Brown and Burgundy colored shoes so I think dark brown is a good choice. I work in NYC - the bag will not be babied nor will it be treated like garbage and I will condition the leather once or twice a year.

I would love to find a place in the NYC area where I can actually get my hands on a Tusting bag. Very tough to get a sense for sizing, weight, leather style, etc by just checking out the website.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated - most of my personal research has come from reading multiple posts here and on other boards so I'd like to hear what you have to say now that I am close to decision time.

Thanks, Mike147

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Paul Stuart and check out their bag selections. They are made by Tusting.

Mike147

Reaction score

Go to Paul Stuart and check out their bag selections. They are made by Tusting.

Looks like they have the "Clipper" model on their website - maybe they have models more in the store. Thanks for the note - I'll try to get up there in the next few days

Mike147

Reaction score
I ordered the Melchbourne in Dark Brown Bridle leather today - There is a 10% off coupon today and tomorrow - use the code: "eastertreats"

Should be shipped today or Monday - customer service so far has been excellent (i asked lots of questions via email). They subtracted 20% VAT and 10% Discount + shipping to the US. Looking forward to receiving the brief.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a Tusting briefcase in a local mall over the weekend. Upon closer inspection, the bag seemed very unrefined and bland, to say the least. The build and construction seemed okay, but I just couldn't get over the old-manishness the bag exuded.

Last edited:

Leander walker

Reaction score
Tusting,for its price point,is one of the best values in briefcases. They are made in England,and while certainly not the quality of Swaine Adeney or Ettinger,they are around 20 percent of the price. It's not bridle leather,but still a really nice calfskin with a heavy twill lining. Some really nice styles. There are made in china cases sold for more money. Tusting is just a really good value product that will last years

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics