• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Briefcase purchase: opinions please

designed

Reaction score
Hi all!

Well, I am new here and I would like to share your experience on which briefcase to purchase.

I have narrowed down my selection between the well known classic hand-stitched wrap-round strap document case by Swaine Adeney Brigg and the flaptop briefcase by Glaser Designs, so please don't refer to other type of briefcases or other brands.

I am a PhD student at the moment so I carry a lot of papers, my notes, sometimes a laptop and I attend conferences as well.

I like the classic design of SAB but from the other side, it looks like just some parts of leather which are stitched together. No lining, no inner pockets, etc. Also it has these straps plus the lock which I think its cumbersome for everyday use. Furthermore, it has three compartments divided by leather separators, so this limit its functionality. I know about the custom option SAB offers but I have found a New Old Stock piece in London Tan which is offered for eight hundred euros. So I focus on this.

Here is good photo gallery for S.A.B.
http://www.classicluggage.com/origin...spatch_bag.htm

From the other hand GD has awesome inner lining and looks like so well designed that you can organize the inner compartment in a very functional way. And this will cost as the aforementioned price plus it will be fully customized according to my needs.

Here is Rilian's post here in SF for his new Glaser
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=89358

So, what is your opinion? What would you choose?

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

PeterEliot

Reaction score
I have that SAB. It's one of the handsomest bags in existence but, as you pointed out, a bit hard to open and close on the move. The straps are removable so you could get by with just the lock--the bag looks quite elegant in this state, but it no longer sports the distinct wrap-round look.

Another thing about the SAB case that's not apparent until you start using it, is that when it is opened there are FOUR dangling leather straps that give it a rather disheveled(?) look.

If you must have an SAB, I advise you against the wrap-round for functionality's sake. This is probably a much handier bag to work with: http://classicluggage.com/short_stra...eney_Brigg.htm You can have a shoulder strap added for a fee.

As for the Glaser... I've only heard praise about it, both stylistically and functionally. It doesn't have SAB's old prestige, but I am sure it will serve your needs perfectly and make you look good too.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have that SAB. If I know I'm going to have to dip into my bag many times I day I simply remove the straps. It's never really been a problem.

With regards to lining etc - I much prefer the raw bridle leather.

designed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraftar
pictures would help.

Yes, you are right! I have edited my first post with links in order to compare.

@ PeterEliot
Peter, what is your experience on everyday use of the bag? When I show it at close, it gave me the impression that it is a little bit big! When it is opened totally in WIDTH, it looks like more a travel case for carrying clothes rather than a briefcase for carrying documents. What I do is to carry my notes and some documents from home to work in a daily basis. This can be done with a small briefcase in size as well. Is it uncomfortable to carry it? Could you comment on this please?

Also, what's your comment about the price? Is it attractive or not?

I have also read your review about SAB and Filson. Excellent!

@ yfyf
No, the flaptop style bag is what I like more!

@ StephenStyle
Could you kindly comment as well on the same remarks I asked PeterEliot above to do?

Is carrying the bag fully loaded an issue when you remove the straps? Is that square brass lock + it's stitching strong enough to withstand all the weight?

Thanks all for your reply!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The S.A.B. would be my choice. I don't have the bag, but I have one of their luggage pieces made of the same leather and color. The quality is superb and it ages very nicely.

Rambler

Reaction score
I have the SAB as well. Mine is the same as PeterElliot's with the round lock but in London Tan vs. Chestnut.

I use it everyday and I don't find buckling and unbuckling the straps to be cumbersome at all. In fact, with such a beautiful case, it adds to the enjoyment and experience of owning it. The straps are very supple and can be easily managed.

As for size, it stretches nicely when full and can fit quite a bit. When not full, the straps can be buckled tightly so it slims down the case for a much sleeker look.

I love the Glaser (although I like their Deal bag more) and frankly, it may be more functional due to its more modern accoutrements. However, I prefer the SAB for it's classic looks and bridle leather.

By the way, there's used Glaser currently running on ebay in the $250 range:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLASER-DESIGNS-S...item415100f1bf

PeterEliot

Reaction score
I just replied to your PM.

Something I forgot to say: if size and convenience are the main issues, I think it might be best for you to go with the smallest Glaser model available, whatever that may be.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's