• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase purchase: London Tan or Chestnut?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have saved up for a new briefcase and want to take a bit of a plunge and get something in bridle leather. Would you recommend chestnut or london tan? I want an interesting color that ages well, hence am passing up the usual black or dark brown.

Also, how important is it for the case to have a padded laptop compartment? I was thinking it isn't, especially if you have thick bridle leather and parts of the case "jutting out" at the bottom and a natural cushion.

As a "dream" model (albeit out of reach), I was looking at the Swaine Adeney Brigg dispatch case kolecho posted about last year. The straps (if I can find such a model) don't appear to be troublesome since it would still close perfectly with the metal clasp.

Here's the dream case:

copy9_dscf0010.jpg

Chestnut:

100x100_fitbox-classic_chestnut.jpg

London Tan:

100x100_fitbox-classic_dark_london_tan.jpg

Jupiter

Reaction score
Lovely case.

I was lucky enough to receive a Chesterford suitcase recently in London tan as a gift. It is beautiful, and have received many comments on it from airport officials and fellow passengers.

With respect to the color, you may find that London Tan is a little lighter than in looks on the website. By my eyes, it has a slight orange tinge to it. Of course, it will darken and gain more character with age.

Also, the SWB website currently has the case you have posted (Chesterfield) is currently ten percent off the regular price. As you are in the U.S., you may be able to also get the VAT off if they export it for you but this is a question for SWB.

Best of luck.

Jupiter

Reaction score
And Chestnut would be the color for me.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chestnut unless it's a lid-over-body case, in which case I would probably go tan.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely Chestnut. Looks stunning with age.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jupiter
Also, the SWB website currently has the case you have posted (Chesterfield) is currently ten percent off the regular price.
Do they do seventy percent?
musicboohoo[1].gif

jjl5000

Reaction score
That is a beautiful briefcase. Unfortunately, the price is not so appealing.

Ed355

Reaction score
You should look out for Papworth briefcases on ebay or their factory shop. The leather is comparable to Swaine and the briefcases are probably cheaper by one-third. I have one in London tan and is very nice.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both but agree the Chestnut will probably age better. Also the orange tint of london orange might clash with some outfits. Either way I'm jealous.

NOLA1

Reaction score
check out the swaine adeney brigg factory shop website. i'm debating the filson #252 and the SAB Document Case (81).

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
chestnut is the best i think! definatly more versitle IMO!

Fabro

Reaction score
Someday I would like to have that SAB dispatch bag. I've all the colours in the shop on St. James's St and IIRC I actually liked the Dark London Tan best.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are fabulous colours. I think London tan ages nicer, while chestnut looks just right at the get go. In the end, go with what speaks to you.

Many who polled have probably never seen the colours you are asking about in the flesh. I would trust your own eyes and intuition rather than depend on this poll.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Do they do seventy percent?
musicboohoo[1].gif

laugh.gif
Go for Chestnut. Although they are both great colors, I think the Chestnut would age very well, and I think the darker color may be more versatile.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think chestnut is a bit more forgiving in that it hides stains better than tan when relatively new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads