• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have the clegg and really like it. Do be aware that it is quite soft so the shape will not stay as tight as the picture shows you. It does stay up straight well even with a laptop in it.

P.s. unless you plan on using the shoulder strap, you can just ask them to leave the strap hooks off completely. Looks even cleaner imo.

Thanks for the suggestion. Which briefcase do you have?

sclemmons

Reaction score
How is the weight for you carrying it as a briefcase?

It is workable. Substantial enough to get the job done. Not as heavy as some of the big cases but you can fill it up and carry a large load. I use the shoulder strap most of the time traveling.

unprocessed

Reaction score
For those with a zip top/bound Frank Clegg, do you feel the 17 x 12 size is a little too big? This is my main hang-up with pulling the trigger since it seems to be larger than the average briefcase and I'm a smaller guy.

sclemmons

Reaction score
It is about right for the load I carry and I would not want anything smaller. I have the double gusset. The triple gusset is a little big but they collapse when not loaded. The single gusset would be too small. Think of your chargers, the paperbacks, the toiletries we all carry. Go with the double and it will be easy to sell if you hate it.

unprocessed

Reaction score
It is about right for the load I carry and I would not want anything smaller. I have the double gusset. The triple gusset is a little big but they collapse when not loaded. The single gusset would be too small. Think of your chargers, the paperbacks, the toiletries we all carry. Go with the double and it will be easy to sell if you hate it.

Debating between the bound zip-top (which weighs 3 lbs) and the traditional zip top (which weighs 4.5 lbs). I prefer the look and firmer leather of the zip top, but a little concerned about the weight difference.

sclemmons

Reaction score
The extra weight has not been a problem for me. I value the ability to contract when empty and the ability to stand alone. I visited Frank’s shop in Fall River to decide and it might be worth a trip for you.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on a Frank Clegg zip top (single gusset). Best part is I got a factory second, so it was 35% off even though the bag is brand new.

Feel like I might regret not getting the double gusset, but the weight of the zip top (4.5 lbs) was already significantly more than other briefcases I was considering. My usual haul is a 13” laptop, iPad and chargers, so hopefully the single gusset will be more than fine. Can’t wait to get it.

jnorm15

Reaction score
For those with a zip top/bound Frank Clegg, do you feel the 17 x 12 size is a little too big? This is my main hang-up with pulling the trigger since it seems to be larger than the average briefcase and I'm a smaller guy.
If you are carrying legal-sized documents, at least 17" is a must.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Received my Frank Clegg zip top in cognac. I had high expectations when I ordered, and they were blown away. It's seriously a piece of art and the quality is outstanding.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my Frank Clegg zip top in cognac. I had high expectations when I ordered, and they were blown away. It's seriously a piece of art and the quality is outstanding.

Were you not going to share photos? Not really a briefcase Appreciation thread without, you know, briefcase Appreciation ...

ErikW

Reaction score
What is that horizontal zipped pocket for on the back side, used for?

It's primarily used to slide your briefcase over your luggage trolley handle. It makes it easy to carry around when traveling without needing to put it over your shoulder. You can also zip closed and keep flat papers/magazines and the likes in there.

nsgmd

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to follow-up and say I received my Frank Clegg zip top double gusset in chocolate brown with a customized interior red leather pocket color and customized inner zipper pocket rather than the un-zippered default divider. It's super gorgeous and looks better with each day. Will post images soon.

Stay at Home Dad

Reaction score
This is more Roll-On Suitcase Appreciation than Briefcase Appreciation so I apologise in advance but it's pretty cool so I thought you may want to see it.

Berluti Formule 1000 in Scritto

Was considering purchasing one of the newer models of this with 4 wheels. Would you recommend? How has it held up over the years?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads