• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

sclemmons

Reaction score
The Herz Leather looks very nice. I have other bags that I acquired back in the days that I carried more paper, and the Herz would be among the nicest.

I carry less paper today. My Frank Clegg double gusset does the job. The peril of all these bags, from Frank to Hermes, is how well and how long they will carry an oversized load of paper. Fortunately for the customer, the bag, and the planet, the paper overload is beginning to subside for most of us.

EvanNole

Reaction score
The Herz Leather looks very nice. I have other bags that I acquired back in the days that I carried more paper, and the Herz would be among the nicest.

I carry less paper today. My Frank Clegg double gusset does the job. The peril of all these bags, from Frank to Hermes, is how well and how long they will carry an oversized load of paper. Fortunately for the customer, the bag, and the planet, the paper overload is beginning to subside for most of us.
Agree with this. It's actually one of the reasons I went with a custom bag; I wanted a very traditional flap-over style bag, but designed with today and the future in mind. I use it for daily to-and-from work and long-haul international business travel. I rarely carry more than a slim file folder as far as paper is concerned, but need pockets for laptop, iPad, noise canceling headphones (size of a deck of cards), plus a larger gusset for things like a coolmax travel blanket (a bit larger than a soda can), eyeglass case, and a front zippered pocket for a pouch that holds my passport, expense receipts and other documents. Being able to specify that amount of detail and get the bag laid out exactly the way I wanted was probably the deciding factor in my decision to go custom.

Thank goodness we don't often travel with much paper anymore. Once in a great while, when our meetings are not at our partners' offices but at an off-site location in Europe, I end up schlepping 20 copies of a 40-page presentation, and those have to go in my roll-aboard. Colossal pain.

slider07

Reaction score
Hi - Looking for some guidance. Looking for a nice leather briefcase (think Glaser-ish) with a luggage strap and an outside secure pocket for quick access to keys, phone, etc. I carry a 13” laptop, notebook, cords, and other small items. I currently use a Stuart & Lau but not digging it.

Thanks!
Chris

ErikW

Reaction score
Incoming from Hrothgar Stibbons. I'll post some better photos when I get my hands on it.

P1040803.JPG
P1040805.JPG
P1040811.JPG
P1040814.JPG

EvanNole

Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many Filson Brothers are here but figured I’d represent from the East Side :fonz:

What we have here is an early 1990’s vintage Otter Green Filson #257 Computer Briefcase. It features 22 ounce Rugged Twill, supple yet tough Bridle Leather from Wickett-Craig, Brass Hardware, Talon Brass heavy duty zippers. It was acquired by myself in near brand new condition back in 2017. Before that it’s been through two other owners. The great thing about Filson is it only increases in value with more Patina and wear; can’t say that about many things. A great Briefcase for in the office or out in the field. Indiana Jones would approve.

95CDD299-A925-4E65-9743-4C64873DFE9F.jpeg

48FB4D46-11EC-499C-ADA7-B4746E5DABB5.jpeg

EC138FF8-FC05-40E7-9CF9-3286A4C22F10.jpeg

3E917083-8C70-4368-9065-E843BD2662A1.jpeg

C8C4BECE-F503-45CD-B402-A715DAFDDF3F.jpeg

Last edited:

unprocessed

Reaction score
Any thoughts on Carl Friedrik? I like the look of their Palissy briefcase, also looking at the Shinola Computer brief which has a similar design but is significantly more expensive.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Carl Friedrik? I like the look of their Palissy briefcase, also looking at the Shinola Computer brief which has a similar design but is significantly more expensive.
To be honest I would stay away from Shinola. They really don’t have an illustrious history of premium luxury goods, and are kinda pseudo luxury, especially their watches. About 8 years ago they acquired Filson, which as a company has been around for over 120 years. Filson made a Leather Satchel using the finest leather from Wickett & Craig. Bedrock Manufacturing (who owns Shinola and now Filson) has discontinued this bag but they do pop up on eBay for all kinds of prices. I’ve seen great examples dating as far back as the 1920’s. I believe they were discontinued around 2012. A couple guys at the Filson thread have them, if you’re interested in learning more about them.

Here’s an example on eBay. This one is from I believe 1990s and as you can see they hold their value and even appreciate.

Filson thread:

unprocessed

Reaction score
After looking at the Shinola, staying away.

I'm down to two main choices:

Carl Friedrick Palissy (~$450)
Frank Clegg Computer Briefcase (~$625 w/ monogram)

I much prefer the look and style of the CF, but I know the Frank Clegg will undoubtedly be higher quality, although it's more expensive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.06.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.06.46 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 497
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.06.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.06.59 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 522

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After looking at the Shinola, staying away.

I'm down to two main choices:

Carl Friedrick Palissy (~$450)
Frank Clegg Computer Briefcase (~$625 w/ monogram)

I much prefer the look and style of the CF, but I know the Frank Clegg will undoubtedly be higher quality, although it's more expensive.

I have the clegg and really like it. Do be aware that it is quite soft so the shape will not stay as tight as the picture shows you. It does stay up straight well even with a laptop in it.

P.s. unless you plan on using the shoulder strap, you can just ask them to leave the strap hooks off completely. Looks even cleaner imo.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I have the double gusset Frank Clegg Zip Top in Chocolate Shrunken. It works well, looks great, and it will stand alone. I wish it were bigger sometimes but it gets the job done every day.

unprocessed

Reaction score
I have the double gusset Frank Clegg Zip Top in Chocolate Shrunken. It works well, looks great, and it will stand alone. I wish it were bigger sometimes but it gets the job done every day.

How is the weight for you carrying it as a briefcase?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads