• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

masayako

Reaction score
Really nice!
Is it heavy?

Can we see some pics of the interior?

It's not heavy at all. It's heavier than canvas briefcases, of course. But it doesn't feel much heavier on my shoulder. Here's a picture of the interior. I decided to go with 2 gussets, with a laptop divider in the middle compartment, keychain holder, 2 large interior pockets. All leather, all custom made.
interior.jpg

ErikW

Reaction score
Very nice, where is it from?

It's not heavy at all. It's heavier than canvas briefcases, of course. But it doesn't feel much heavier on my shoulder. Here's a picture of the interior. I decided to go with 2 gussets, with a laptop divider in the middle compartment, keychain holder, 2 large interior pockets. All leather, all custom made.
View attachment 990232

Tomcsheppard

Reaction score
C3FD1CD1-4D94-42D1-BD99-BE433136C54F.jpeg
I hate to drag on an old conversation, but I felt compelled to respond. Mr. Marcelino, you do amazing work. However, the lock that you use it NOT your design. It is a lock made by an Italian company called MM Colombo. You can find it at mmcolombo.it on the internet. You may have been the first to use it, but because your company name is engraved on the hasp and you call it a Hampton Lock doesn’t make it your design. And it’s a bit unfair to criticize other makers as cheap inferior hacks by using a lock that you didn’t invent. You may also make English Briefcases better than almost everyone else, but you didn’t invent those either. That design has been around for over a century. I have been making custom bags for almost 40 years, and I know that I am better at making bags than many people. I do, however, realize that there are others much better than I am. I look for every opportunity I can to learn something new, and I watch the many YouTube videos you post for inspiration. Why do you post videos of your building process if you are going to slam someone for being inspired by what you post? Does that mean that everyone that decides to use a certain kind of lock is somehow cheating because someone else used it first? It’s bad enough that handcrafted high end bag making is becoming more rare these days. We don’t have to label others trying to master their craft as inferior hacks stealing something from you that you didn’t invent. If someone was building a bag that look like yours and saying it was a JP Marcelino bag when it wasn’t, then I would completely agree with your statement. But the fact that someone used the same type of lock that you used doesn’t make them cheaters.

takashi78

Reaction score
My Glaser Designs 6” Deal Bag in hand grained chestnut leather.
View attachment 997295

Handsome looking bag, how long have you had it?
Daily use and been in the rain?

Maybe a silly question, and i don't use my Glaser bags shoulder strap often, but the top of the strap, the padding part, because of the shape of it, is that part suppose to curve out or in on your shoulder?
Mine keeps falling off the shoulder.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Our afternoons work prototyping might be of interest in this thread. 100% leather fully wrapped and saddle stitched attache handle for a forthcoming project. The leather is the Cuir de Russie we work with a lot now..

_DSC1330_1500px.jpg
_DSC1325_1500px.jpg
_DSC1319_1500px.jpg

fazalmajid

Reaction score
Our afternoons work prototyping might be of interest in this thread. 100% leather fully wrapped and saddle stitched attache handle for a forthcoming project. The leather is the Cuir de Russie we work with a lot now..

The equestrian-themed buckles are a nice touch. How does the Cuir de Russie compare to the Metta Catherina original?

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The equestrian-themed buckles are a nice touch. How does the Cuir de Russie compare to the Metta Catherina original?

Thanks, glad you like them!

The Cuir de Russie has been created to be a direct replacement for the original Russian leather, but without being underwater for 200 years as the Metta Catherina leather was. I cant tell the difference between the two in terms of grain, colour or smell. The CdR is much better quality, its new leather so doesnt have the cracking problems the Metta Catterina has. The original Russian Calf was a major export of pre Revolution Russia and was used for small leathergoods, military stuff and bookbinding, the tanning and finishing gave it excellent longevity and resistance to all sorts of environmental factors, this has just the same design intent, lots of R&D has gone in to it by the tannery and some Russian academics. Ive got some of every attempt at recreating this leather and we've worked with the Metta Catherina leather, this is the only one that in any way resembles the Metta Catherina leather or has the properties of the original. Great leather with tremendous character, if expensive. We have a big project featuring it coming up soon.

Charlie

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

jnorm15

Reaction score
I'm really loving my Frank Clegg English Briefcase in chestnut (note: this picture does not do it justice). At least once a day, I catch myself just sitting at my desk admiring it. Big shout out to @Ian Clegg --he and his family have been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

amlemus

Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RF Clark retired again? :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads