• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you think you'd like it, then you probably will. Nice materials, well-made, not a ridiculous price-point.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go Frank Clegg. He was the artist/craftsman of the brand and by all accounts his company is a joy to work with.

sclemmons

Reaction score
I recommend the double gusset bag. I have the double gusset Frank Clegg and often wish it were larger. The underloaded double gusset takes up no more space than the single gusset and you have the option to add more. If you overload the single gusset it will quickly stretch and become rounded and less crisp looking, and you will wish you had the larger bag. And the double will more readily stand on its own. The triple gusset felt oversized to me. The double is perfect. Lotuff seems like a nice company, but Frank and his family are so full of win, you should go with Frank Clegg. You should also look at the shrunken leather. It is a second layer of leather over the bag you selected, and it will wear exceedingly well. Available only from Frank Clegg.

jnorm15

Reaction score
I recommend the double gusset bag. I have the double gusset Frank Clegg and often wish it were larger. The underloaded double gusset takes up no more space than the single gusset and you have the option to add more. If you overload the single gusset it will quickly stretch and become rounded and less crisp looking, and you will wish you had the larger bag. And the double will more readily stand on its own. The triple gusset felt oversized to me. The double is perfect. Lotuff seems like a nice company, but Frank and his family are so full of win, you should go with Frank Clegg. You should also look at the shrunken leather. It is a second layer of leather over the bag you selected, and it will wear exceedingly well. Available only from Frank Clegg.

Thanks for your input, especially about the double gusset vs. single. I think you've convinced me that double is the way to go.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, especially about the double gusset vs. single. I think you've convinced me that double is the way to go.

We often make breifcases, and I have to second the remarks of sclemmons. Go with two gussets - he's correct on all accounts.

24flamingice

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know where to find this briefcase or anything as clean?

700.jpg

EvanNole

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone know where to find this briefcase or anything as clean?

View attachment 845383
It looks like it might be a copy of the Delvaux Newspaper Bag. I say copy simply because the zipper pull is different, and it isn't embossed with "1829" at the bottom. But I don't know a ton about the brand, and this one might well be genuine. In any event, I think a real one would set you back by about $3,000 brand new.

jnorm15

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one of the following Frank Clegg bags if anyone has one they're willing to get rid of:
-Zip-top
-Birmingham
-Lock
-Captain's

Thanks!

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
I'm in the market for one of the following Frank Clegg bags if anyone has one they're willing to get rid of:
-Zip-top
-Birmingham
-Lock
-Captain's

Thanks!
Hello all, If anyone has any questions about bags please send me a direct email at [email protected] Would be happy to help. Ian Clegg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it's your only one, probably true. Mine is a single, but I've got a 20-year-old 6" deal bag from Glaser that does the industrial-strength carrying when necessary. The role of this one is a casually-elegant thing for documents, not a ton of books.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
Made this week for a proof of concept.

Fully lined, full-bridle briefcase. Mysore accents. Full width pocket, pen pockets, card pocket and a small gusseted pocket on the interior. Wanting to make this available at a very reasonable price point. Trying for well under $1k.

Wanting to push the needle with what we can do at this price point. What do you think?

Bridle-Briefcase---1.jpg

EvanNole

Reaction score
For the past seven years, I’ve carried a Hartmann double-compartment ziptop briefcase in dark cognac belting leather. It’s been perfectly functional but has never been anything great to look at. In the last year or so, though, it’s started to look pretty rough around the edges, with no amount of Bick 4 or Lexol succeeding in buffing out scratches, and the leather over the plastic piping around the outer edges of the bag wearing off and exposing the plastic. So, a few months ago, I decided it was time to invest in a new bag.

I browsed everything I could online, went in leather shops here in Atlanta and abroad, and finally, thanks to a few very positive reviews on this very thread, I settled on a custom case from Hrothgar Stibbon, out of Bristol, UK. https://hrothgarstibbon.co.uk/ Roth was absolutely great to work with, asking me great questions about the kinds and quantities of items I carry, how much travel I do, and so on, and tailored the case to my exact wants and needs. He also provided much useful advice and gently steered me away from making what would have been a couple of mistakes.

The case arrived just the other day, and I’ve had a little time to spend with it - so, onwards with the details.

Roth uses absolutely beautiful English bridle leather... I chose the “Hazel” color he offers. It’s a very warm color, with incredible depth, which sets it apart from some of the British tans I have seen - most of those are a bit lighter, and tend to be one-dimensional. This leather you can practically see into, and while it’s perfectly finished, stretch marks and such are apparent, in a good way, making the leather that much more interesting to look at. It also smells fantastic.

This is my first experience with bridle leather, and it’s unlike any other leather I’ve encountered. It’s extremely stiff and it’s clear that it will likely last forever... and also take quite a while to break in. I’ve already started to work gently on the flap, but of course don’t want to overdo it and will likely just let the process take place naturally.

The case is a very good size, about 17” wide by 12” tall. Thanks to the gussets, the depth is variable, maxing out at around 7”, but it’s considerably more svelte than that with my usual daily carry (laptop, pens, Bose noise-cancelling earbuds, a few other small odds and ends) in it. I intend to use the case as a travel briefcase as well, however, and often carry a few somewhat bulky items on the plane (hardback book, Cocoon CoolMax travel blanket, iPad, a few files, etc.), plus I’d like the ability to slip in a lunch or water bottle on occasion. So, there’s a wide (3.5”-4”) gusset in the rear, with a narrow (1”) one in the middle for my laptop, and a 2” one at the front.

The thick, substantial handle on the top and the straps on the front were hand-stitched, and the creases along the edges of some parts of the case (the straps, the front flap, the newspaper pocket) are really amazing examples of Roth’s attention to detail and workmanship.

For function, there’s a wide zippered pocket behind the front flap, and another wide one on the back of the case. Also on the back, there’s a newspaper pocket that can be converted to a luggage trolley strap via a zipper at the bottom, with two brass studs at the top to keep the case from flopping around. Inside, the large rear compartment has a full-width suede pocket for an iPad and other slim items; the middle pocket, for the laptop, is quite well padded with suede-wrapped foam at the bottom. The front compartment has a key lanyard, three pen loops, a business card slip , an iPhone pocket and a gusseted pouch for my Bose earbuds in their case.
The case is largely unlined, which is great as it helps keep the weight down. It is lined only where it’s structurally or aesthetically necessary (to cover the back sides of hardware, the insides of pockets, etc.). In those spots, Roth has largely used a suede pigskin in extremely dark chocolate brown. It’s lightweight, strong and feels really nice.

All of the hardware is solid brass, including the three-position lock on the front. Key, key ring and luggage tag were also included.

The case came with a leather shoulder strap, which is surprisingly well padded and slip-resistant, the underside being lined with the same suede that was used elsewhere.

All in all, I can’t begin to say how pleased I am with this case. Roth was an absolute delight to work with - very patient, with excellent ideas, and the result was a really great collaborative effort. My wife is already eyeing my bag, so I suspect that at some point we’ll get her something from Roth, as well!

A76024F8-8C0E-44FD-AFD8-372D3408A004.jpeg

916D2ECA-33EF-43BF-B5AD-1C072A5A15B9.jpeg

96FC497D-6F49-4E49-82D4-0DF5D51887A2.jpeg

0DF4EEBE-308E-4085-B4D0-56C29173D27A.jpeg

4ED62254-2A00-4EBC-840F-9950787B52DF.jpeg

7912C263-F10C-4BD2-831A-7E0BC8B096C2.jpeg

0729AB4F-34A6-4171-BB0A-C019645714E5.jpeg

C98C90BF-CEF7-42B8-970D-D8B5B4754516.jpeg

13ABD632-103A-480C-8E0D-FC051E5EF739.jpeg

44FE39F9-0430-4718-BC85-81A77C209041.jpeg

D9B462F6-8018-4CD4-AD6D-97EC2E3B3E25.jpeg

B08B301C-01D3-4614-A1A7-4250887ED0F8.jpeg

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Has anyone been in touch with casemaker recently? I realize his waitlist is long, but haven't even had any luck getting in touch with him to get on the waitlist, unfortunately.

takashi78

Reaction score
For the past seven years, I’ve carried a Hartmann double-compartment ziptop briefcase in dark cognac belting leather. It’s been perfectly functional but has never been anything great to look at. In the last year or so, though, it’s started to look pretty rough around the edges, with no amount of Bick 4 or Lexol succeeding in buffing out scratches, and the leather over the plastic piping around the outer edges of the bag wearing off and exposing the plastic. So, a few months ago, I decided it was time to invest in a new bag.

View attachment 849868

Very well made and i am sure you will get many years with this bag.

1- How heavy is the bag when empty?
2- Whenever i see this kinda construction i can't help but think the handle and strap area is only as strong as the thread stitched to it, what is your opinion on this?
Is there anymore reinforcements done at that area?

EvanNole

Reaction score
Very well made and i am sure you will get many years with this bag.

1- How heavy is the bag when empty?
2- Whenever i see this kinda construction i can't help but think the handle and strap area is only as strong as the thread stitched to it, what is your opinion on this?
Is there anymore reinforcements done at that area?

Thanks for the kind remarks!

Just weighed it.... Looks like it's coming in at just under 6 lbs when empty. Substantial, to be sure, but honestly it doesn't feel that heavy. I think the weight is very well distributed. Time will tell how much I like lugging it around, I suppose, but I did want a case that could carry a lot, so I guess a bit of weight comes with the territory.

The stitching looks really heavy duty, and there's some sort of reinforcement where the handle attaches to the flap - whether that's a strip of wood or metal, I am unsure, as it's between two layers of leather. The piece of leather that holds the handle and the d-rings for the shoulder strap is also riveted to the flap, so I imagine that provides some additional strength.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads