• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he might have been selling his last remaining stock, I know he was slowly thinking about starting to retire some time ago
Oh no, I spoke with him in August via Etsy and we were discussing some of the styles I wanted to order ..

Remember he was quite restrictive with the mods I wanted to change, but I was building my self up to ordering a briefcase nevertheless ..

Thought he went on Holiday and that he will return in September, but now I don't think he'll be coming back .. Do you know where's he selling his remaining stock? How can I contact him other than etsy?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't his store go down once before? The same as it is now. Maybe this isn't permanent and it will be back up. If anyone hears from the man please let us know in the thread.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Oh no, I spoke with him in August via Etsy and we were discussing some of the styles I wanted to order ..

Remember he was quite restrictive with the mods I wanted to change, but I was building my self up to ordering a briefcase nevertheless ..

Thought he went on Holiday and that he will return in September, but now I don't think he'll be coming back .. Do you know where's he selling his remaining stock? How can I contact him other than etsy? 

PM sent with contact details

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would be interested in this too.

I know he's sold off old stock on his Etsy store in the past. Leather journals and other small goods he no longer made. I am surprised he wouldn't just do the same if he is trying to clean out stock on bags.

ruvort

Reaction score

I would be very interested in the contact details as well.

Thank you

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone had luck in contacting Ray? It appears his etsy shop is definitely closed and he's not responding to the emails .. I guess he's retired for good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It says he's on vacation when you look at old items you saved from his Etsy shop.

kevinln20

Reaction score
I've been searching for about a month for a briefcase and I thought I finally found it. I was thinking of getting this Linjer Soft Briefcase until I discovered this forum/thread. It has great reviews but I was wondering if anyone could recommend other briefcases with the same aesthetic. I am a graduate student who has to occasionally wear a suit. I've been using a backpack with my suit, but that needs to change. I like the cognac color, but think it might be too informal with a suit. Should I stick with a dark brown briefcase? That Linjer briefcase is already a little more than I wanted to spend, so suggestions on cheaper ones would be much appreciated.

fazalmajid

Reaction score
I've been searching for about a month for a briefcase and I thought I finally found it. I was thinking of getting this Linjer Soft Briefcase until I discovered this forum/thread. It has great reviews but I was wondering if anyone could recommend other briefcases with the same aesthetic. I am a graduate student who has to occasionally wear a suit. I've been using a backpack with my suit, but that needs to change. I like the cognac color, but think it might be too informal with a suit. Should I stick with a dark brown briefcase? That Linjer briefcase is already a little more than I wanted to spend, so suggestions on cheaper ones would be much appreciated.

You're not going to get the Linjer quality at a lower price (or even at twice the price). You can settle for a chrome-tanned leather briefcase, trawl the sales at Gilt or the like, buy used, or get a canvas or ballistic nylon briefcase.

The cognac briefcase is perfectly appropriate for any but the stiffest of white-shoe law firms.

Ian Clegg

Reaction score
On Frank Clegg's webstore, no. His bags are sold via a few online retailers (Like NMWA for one) and may end up going on sale with one of them.

I do know that he sometimes has items that didn't make it by QA. Small defects or imperfections that he will sell at discounted prices, but you have to email them directly for availability. My experience is a lot of 2nds from quality brands like this have such minor issues that hardly anyone would ever notice them.

Hi Ian Clegg here! Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to answer your questions.

We don't have sales but we do have seconds. These seconds have minor imperfections with the leather and we can't send out to clients who order via our online store. If you have any inquiries please reach out!

[email protected]

Best,
Ian Clegg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My63

Reaction score
Found a very distressed Pendragon for $14. Cleaned it up a bit. Prolly pre 1950. Anyone have a clue how old this model is? Also I tried not to overdo the restoration so as for it to retain some of it's "patina".

I have restored a similar case from Pendragon I went a little further than you did I added some green suede inside as well as matching green thread and to make it more useful I also made a shoulder strap. Sorry I don't know why my pictures are at the top.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads